Last Updated on January 10, 2023
If you are not a beginner or a pro then an intermediate sewing machine is the right one for you. In this article we will review the best intermediate sewing machines so you can pick the one that’s right for you.
When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Choosing the right sewing machine as an intermediate sewer might be one of the most difficult things you can ever do, because there are so many alternatives available out there in the market today.
So to help you, we’ve compiled a list of the overall best intermediate sewing machines to make it easier for you to make the perfect decision.
Among the factors we evaluated in our assessment were the automated needle threader, the length of basic stitches and buttonholes, the variety, the presser foot, and the optimum sewing speed control slider that decide the machine’s overall reliability.
1. Bernette 38 Swiss Design Computerized Sewing Machine
Bernette 38 Swiss Design Computerized Sewing Machine is our choice for the overall best intermediate sewing machine for the money.
- Automatic Limitation for Double Needles: When you change from a single to a double-needle, the double needle button will help you adapt your needle to the presser foot so that neither needle will inadvertently hit the presser foot and break off. The double-needle safety function limits the stitch width so that the needle doesnt hit the presser foot
- Adjusting the Presser Foot Pressure to Suit the Material: For some materials, such as lightweight or thin fabrics, it is advisable to adjust the presser foot pressure
- Automatic Thread Cutter and Tie-Off Function: When you get to the end of a seam, the thread has to be tied off to prevent the seam unraveling. Normally, you would do this by making a quick backwards and forwards stitch. This is no longer necessary with the Bernette 38, as it has an automatic tie-off function
- Extension Table for Large Sewing Projects Included: The extension table supplied with the Bernette 38 is easy to attach and detach, and gives you more space for large sewing projects such as clothes, quilts, or curtains
- Eight Presser Feet Included: With your Bernette 38, you get eight presser feet and a stable presser foot shank. You can select the appropriate presser foot for whatever you want to sew
First on our list of best intermediate sewing machines is the Bernette 38, a cutting-edge machine with a plethora of functionality at an unbeatable price.
It is one of the top versions in the Bernette 30 series and is a computerized sewing machine. The machine is made of sturdy materials and has a practical look. In addition, it is simple to set up due to its user-friendly design.
It has brilliant LED lights that adequately brighten your workstation so you don’t have to slouch to see your tasks. In addition, the machine features an extension table, giving you a wide working surface which is perfect for larger projects.
You can do anything as this sewing machine comes with 69 ornamental stitches and a total of 394 stitches. There’s also a stretch stitch that lets you deal with various sorts of elastic cloth. Furthermore, it comes with three alphabets and eight one-step buttonholes, making it extremely flexible.
Because of the extra high presser foot, you can deal with any fabric, light or thick, with this machine. The eight different presser feet also let you sew in a variety of stitching patterns with ease. Your output will also increase as a result of the machine’s very rapid stitching pace of 820SPM. You’ll also like how quiet it is in comparison to other computerized sewing machines.
- Robust construction
- Easy user interface
- LED lights
- Less noisy
- Friendly to user
- Speed control
- Mostly suitable for household uses
For creative people, this would be one of the best intermediate sewing machines that they’ll find in the market. It has a lot of features for a reasonable price.
2. Juki HZL-F600 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
Juki HZL-F600 is our choice for the overall best intermediate sewing machine regardless of cost.
- SIMPLE-TO-USE SEWING AND QUILTING MACHINE: 255 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, letters and buttonhole stitches, meet your various needs for embroidery patterns.
- USER-FRIENDLY DESIGNED LCD SCREEN: The stitch selector switch allows you to easily see and choose your stitch. Simply select your stitches with the push of a button and view your selection on the LCD display.
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that helps you easily thread the eye of the needle without causing your eyes fatigue or frustration and a convenient, jam resistant.
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced. They are all conveniently stored in the accessory tray. A soft-sided dust cover is also included in the packaging
- LCD SCREEN: The intuitive LCD display allows you to easily choose your stitches and settings with the push of a but
Juki HZL-F600 is the best candidate for anybody seeking to advance their sewing skills with a high-tech sewing machine that is jam-packed with features. It is ideal for every sewing and quilting machine and is capable of handling huge tasks.
The Juki HZL-F600 is a heavy-duty computerized sewing machine intended to last and meet the demands of all experienced sewers. However, due to its size and weight, it is not the greatest portable machine.
The HZL-F600, like any other computerized sewing machine, features an LCD display that shows details about the project you are dealing with. The only difference is that its LCD is considerably larger than other machines, so you won’t have to struggle to see the information. This machine also features more than simply a big work table.
It includes a snap-on work surface that is quite useful for huge tasks. Its unique features, including an adjustable presser foot, adjustable buttonhole cutting width, a knee-raising lever, and a foot pedal, make it even more appealing. They enable you to work on any cloth kind and size.
When it pertains to flexibility, the Juki HZL-F600 is unrivaled. It has 225 stitches as well as 16 buttonholes. It sews at a breakneck pace and with pinpoint accuracy. Quilters and other sewers who deal with huge and thick fabrics will especially enjoy it, thanks to the random stitch option, enhancing creativity when sewing.
LED lights are also included to illuminate your workplace, so you don’t have to stare so hard to view your dark-colored creations.
- Sturdy built
- 225 number of stitches
- Easy to use
- Large LCD display
- Multiple useful accessories
- Limited warranty of only five years
Overall, this is one of the finest sewing machines for intermediate sewers since it can operate on various materials and has plenty of options that allow you to be more creative.
3. Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, CS6000i, 60 Built-in Stitches
Brother CS6000i is our choice for the best cheap machine for intermediate sewers.
- 60 Unique built-in stitches: The Brother CS6000i includes 60 built-in sewing stitches, including decorative stitches and 7 styles of auto-size buttonholes
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Included accessories: The CS6000i includes a hard protective case, wide table, 10 sewing feet, needle set including twin needle, 3 bobbins and more
- LCD Screen: Easily select your stitches with the touch of a button and view your selections on the LCD display
- 25 Year limited warranty: The CS6000i is backed by a 25 year limited warranty with free technical support for the life of the product
- This product is intended for sale only in the US at 120 volts, and any other use or sale voids the warran
Brother’s monstrous sewing machine models never fail to impress. The CS6000i does not disappoint. It is a genuine workhorse with several capabilities that can help you complete a variety of complex jobs.
The machine’s construction is unrivaled, and if properly maintained, it may last a lifetime. Its design is simple, and owing to the modern technology employed in its construction, it is quite easy to set up.
The machine is easier to operate because of features such as an automated needle threader and a top drop-in bobbin system. They save you time while still providing precise professional outcomes with little to no effort. If you enjoy quilting, this should be your primary machine.
It includes a quilting machine table. You’ll also like the peak stitching speed of 850SPM that you can adjust using a foot pedal. With the 60 stitch possibilities available, you may create almost anything in the world of beauty with your creations.
To start and stop the machine or change the stitch length and width, press a button. When working with intricate designs, you may use the automated sewing option to guide your fabric to the pattern requirements you’ve chosen. However, when it refers to accessories, you can rely on Brother.
A hardcover to preserve the machine, spool caps and pins, an extension table, needle set, nine distinct presser feet, and a bobbin system are among the accessories available.
- Intuitive design
- Great quilting table
- Can operate with or without a pedal
- Stitch options
- Multiple accessories
- 25-year warranty
- Nine presser feet
- LED lights that are improperly positioned
This Brother sewing machine is well worth the money because it comes with a 25-year warranty. In addition, it is very flexible and real worth, with a multitude of features that may assist everyone from being intermediate sewers in becoming a professional sewer.
4. Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, XR3774
Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, XR3774 is another great intermediate sewing machine.
- 37 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The Brother XR3774 includes 37 built-in stitches including blind hem, decorative and quilting stitches and a 1-step buttonhole
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The XR3774 quilting and sewing machine comes with a machine cover, wide table, 8 sewing feet, instructional DVD, and more
- VERSATILE FREE ARM: The Brother XR3774 is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing and quilting projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The XR3774 quilting and sewing machine comes with Brother at your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
- This product is intended for sale only in the US at 120 volts, and any other use or sale voids the warran
If you would not want to pay for stuff you’ll never use, this is the machine for you. You’ll spend a little sum on this machine, but you’ll still be able to work on your basic tasks while honing your abilities to become a pro. It provides exceptional value for money.
The XR3774 has a basic yet elegant design. It includes a wide working area and a quilting extension table that is perfect for quilters. It also has brilliant LED lights that illuminate your workstation adequately. Furthermore, the machine includes 37 built-in stitches that you can select with the touch of a button.
It also has a quilting foot, narrow hemmer, buttonhole, zipper, button sewer, and a range of basic presser feet. They increase the machine’s versatility.
The stitching pace is not fast, yet it is adequate for a non-professional or transitional novice sewist. What makes it a wonderful choice is its reverse function, which strengthens your basic stitches and is especially useful when working on projects prone to wear and tear.
- Offers great value for money
- Easy to use
- Awesome sewing speed
- Large working area
- Excellent for quilting
- Series of presser feet
- Very limited warranty of 1 year
Overall, this machine lacks the frills and whistles of other high-end sewing machines but will serve you well with its core tasks. Furthermore, you can buy it with ease as it is very affordable.
5. SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine with 600-Stitches
SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine is also another great intermediate sewing machine.
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams Has a large selection of stitches including basic, stretch and decorative stitches for fashion sewing, quilting, home decor and crafting There’s even a selection of fonts to personalize projects
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle’s eye, in seconds The built-in needle threader threads the eye of the needle for you, eliminating eye strain and frustration
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has 600 Built-In Stitches including 5 Alphanumeric Fonts and 13 built-in 1-Step Buttonholes with Exclusive Buttonhole Underplate It also has Mirror Imaging and Stitch Elongation providing even more creative possibilities
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches-per-minute, projects can be sewn quickly
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of presser feet are included with the sewing machine: All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Underplate, Button Sewing Foot, Blind Hem Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, Open Toe Foot, Overcasting Foot, Darning and Embroidery Foot, Rolled Hem Foot, Cording Foot, Straight Stitch/Quilting Foot, Even Feed / Walking Foot 110 volt machine designed for United States and Canadian use o
The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 is generating a lot of interest. Aside from being a sophisticated computerized machine from SINGER, it packs a powerful with various functions and a sturdy structure.
The machine has a basic yet elegant appearance and a wonderfully robust body meant to last and best for intermediate sewers.
It has a black and white backlit LCD screen that shows all of the details about your current project, and it allows you to work around the clock if necessary because it adequately lights your workplace.
The start/stop and speed control slider on this machine will make your stitching life a little easier. An automated thread cutter and a top-loading drop-in bobbin system are two more features that will make stitching easier and more pleasurable for you.
They will save you time while providing excellent outcomes with minimal effort. In addition, the 13 presser feet set this machine different from the competitors. It even has a walking foot, which is uncommon in other typical machines. These extra feet will keep you occupied while also allowing you to be creative.
The computerized machine also has 600 built in stitches and five alphanumeric typefaces. You may not be able to utilize the whole of them, but getting access to these stitches to create lovely unique items is a lot of fun.
The opposite image, which lets you alter the stitches horizontally and vertically, is another noteworthy feature. Also, a stitch extension option allows you to lengthen the stitches up to 5 times, providing you a lot more freedom.
- Strong build
- Easy to use
- 13 presser feet
- 600 built in stitches
- 25-year warranty
- Perfect value for money
- Some parts are weak
To summarize, this machine is at the top of the list for all the right purposes. Its extensive feature set makes it one of the finest choices for beginning sewers who want to advance their skills. It also comes with a 25-year guarantee.
Questions and Answers
Could these best intermediate sewing machines handle heavy fabrics?
Absolutely. All of the machines discussed above can handle various textiles, including heavy ones like canvas, denim, and upholstery fabrics.
What is the frequency at which intermediate sewing machines should be serviced?
Depending on how you use your machine, if once a week, service it once a month; if you use it once a month, maintain your sewing machine once every three months. It may apply to all kinds of sewing machines for their optimum ability.
What tension should I choose on my sewing machine?
Tension adjustments differ among machines and also vary depending on the type of cloth you’re working with. Choosing a moderate tension level that matches the top and lower tension is always best for a flawless stitch.
Given all the information provided above, choosing the best intermediate sewing machine that meets all of your sewing demands and objectives while being within your funds should be a piece of cake.
Choosing any of the goods on our list may be the finest decision you’ll make in a long time.