Last Updated on January 10, 2023
Are you looking for a monogramming machine? Here is our complete guide to the best monogramming machines available.
When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Monogramming is a popular way to add a personal touch to fabrics and materials. Today, there is a wealth of different types of embroidery machines that have the ability to monogram too.
These machines are often the entry point for enthusiast embroiderers. The thing is that they are becoming more and more complicated, and as a result, it is getting harder to decipher which models are the best. Sewing machines, quilting machines, and monogramming machines are sometimes mistakenly put in the same basket and that can lead to confusion.
To help you in your search, we have collected the best monogramming machines in 2020.
The 8 Best Monogramming Machines
|Brother SE600 Sewing and Embroidery Machine, 80 Designs, 103 Built-In Stitches, Computerized, 4" x 4" Hoop Area, 3.2" LCD Touchscreen Display, 7 Included Feet||Check Price!|
|Brother PE800 Embroidery Machine, 138 Built-in Designs, 5" x 7" Hoop Area, Large 3.2" LCD Touchscreen, USB Port, 11 Font Styles||Check Price!|
|SINGER | Legacy SE300 Embroidery Machine with 200 Built-In Embroideries, LCD Touch Screen, & 250 Built-In Stitches - Sewing Made Easy||Check Price!|
|EverSewn Sparrow QE Professional Sewing and Quilting Machine - 8Û Throat - 70 Stitch Patterns - Intuative Control Panel, White||Check Price!|
|EverSewn Sparrow 30s Sewing Machine : Computer-Controlled, 310 Stitch Patterns, 2 Full Alphabets - Perfect for Sewing and Quilting, Red||Check Price!|
|Brother PE535 Embroidery Machine, 80 Built-in Designs, 4" x 4" Hoop Area, Large 3.2" LCD Touchscreen, USB Port, 9 Font Styles||Check Price!|
|Brother Sewing and Embroidery Machine, 4 Star Wars Faceplates, 10 Downloadable Star Wars Designs, 80 Designs, 103 Built-In Stitches, 4" x 4" Hoop Area, 3.2" Touchscreen, 7 Included Feet||Check Price!|
|Brother SE1900 Sewing and Embroidery Machine, 138 Designs, 240 Built-in Stitches, Computerized, 5" x 7" Hoop Area, 3.2" LCD Touchscreen Display, 8 Included Feet||Check Price!|
1. Brother SE600 Sewing and Embroidery Machine
- 80 Built-in designs: The SE600 comes with 80 built-in designs and 6 embroidery lettering fonts for personalizing your projects
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and embroidery combo machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- 103 Built-in sewing stitches: This machine features 103 sewing stitches including 10 styles of auto-size buttonholes. Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches per minute)- 710
- Large color touchscreen: The Brother SE600 computerized sewing and embroidery machine features a large 3.2 LCD color touchscreen allowing you to preview your designs before stitching
- 4 X 4 Embroidery field: This computerized combo machine is built with a 4 x 4 Embroidery field with an included hoop, embroidery arm and 7 sewing feet
The Brother SE600 is a fantastic machine that is insanely popular in the monogramming community.
It features a 4×4” embroidery area, perfect for monogramming various fabrics. It has a backlit LCD screen display where you can access your fonts, stitches, and designs.
It comes pre-installed with 5 fonts already, but if you need more, this model has computer connectivity options to import designs purchased online. This keeps your machine highly future proof.
In addition, there is a ‘one-touch’ thread cutter that will cut your top and bobbin thread easily and a handy to use automatic needle threader so you can forget your tweezers and magnifying glass.
The workspace is brightly lit, making it easy to work on dark materials or in low light situations.
2. Brother PE800 5×7 Embroidery Machine
- 138 Built-in designs: Featuring 138 built-in embroidery designs including scrollwork, florals and quilt patterns, the PE800 has numerous options to allow your creativity to flourish
- 11 Built-in fonts: 7 English, 3 Japanese, and 1 Cyrillic font styles are perfect for monogramming and lettering
- USB Port: The PE800s USB port allows you to import your embroidery designs into your machines built-in memory
- Large color touchscreen: The large 3.2 inch LCD color touchscreen allows you to preview your designs before embroidering
- 5 X 7 Embroidery field: This embroidery-only machine comes with an embroidery foot and a 5 x 7 inch embroidery hoop perfect for stitching larger desi
This machine by Brother has a larger than average 5×7” embroidery field that will suit monogramming very well. The PE800 has 11 fonts built-in as standard, 7 English, 3 Japanese and 1 Cyrillic.
This is a lot more flexible than other machines in a similar bracket. It has a USB port, which means you can import any new fonts that you have purchased straight into the machine’s memory. The LCD screen is touch-capable and is in full color.
This allows for beautiful looking previews of all our designs before you start to work. The work area can be very brightly lit when working in low light situations and environments.
3. SINGER | Legacy SE300 Portable
- SINGER SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Legacy SE300 Portable Sewing Machine has 250 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches allow you to sew a variety of projects, such as fashions, home décor, quilts, crafts, and more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Legacy SE300 has extra-large embroidery area, snap-on embroidery hoops, usb stick embroidery design transfer, bobbin winding while embroidering, upper thread sensor, 10 snap-on presser feet, 200 embroidery designs + 6 alphabet options which expands your creative and monogramming possibilities
- HIGH SEWING AND EMBROIDERY SPEED: The SINGER Legacy SE300 Sewing Machine has a maximum sewing speed of 800 stitches-per-minute and 700 embroidery stitches per minute, and so projects can be sewn quickly
- SEWING AND EMBROIDERY MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are included with large and small embroidery hoop, all-purpose foot, satin stitch foot, overcasting foot, blind hem foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot with underplate, straight stitch foot, button sewing foot, open toe foot
- This sewing machine is warranted for use in the US and Canada at 110 volts o
The Singer Legacy is a high-end embroidery and sewing machine with all mod cons thrown in. One of its best features is the extra-large embroidery area that is perfect for your monogrammed needs.
There are even 2 snap-on embroidery hoops included so you can change the size you are working with as needed. The hoop sizes are 10 1/4 “ x 6” and 4”x4”.
The inbuilt computer screen has touch capabilities and you can control all functions from there as well as import new fonts you have bought from online stores.
The frame is made from heavy-duty metals and feels solid and sturdy. It helps this machine to produce skip-free monogramming day after day.
4. EverSewn Sparrow QE
- Modern sewing and quilting machine with professional sewing features – ideal for advanced sewers and quilters
- Beautiful stitch Quality, knee lift and an 8-inch throat space – perfect for larger projects or quilts
- The Sparrow QE offers professional Tools at a very competitive price, offering over 70 stitch patterns, speed control and a built-in thread cutter
- Selecting and changing Stich settings is quick and simple with the intuitive and easy-to-navigate Interface
- Slide-on table and a special quilting deluxe foot kit can be purchased separat
The EverSewn Sparrow QE is marketed as ‘next-gen’ and that is for good reason. It is a state of the art sewing machine that utilizes smart technologies to make the experience better than ever.
This model allows you to completely customize your designs as well as monitor your machine from a different room, via a specialized app. This means you can set up a job and return when it’s finished.
The app also allows you to add new fonts and designs, instead of using a USB. In addition to these technical wonders, this machine has two hoop sizes, 100 embroidery designs already programmed in and ready to go.
The only downside we can see is that the instruction manual is fairly convoluted and it is probably better to do a quick online search for better instructions.
5. EverSewn Sparrow 30 Sewing Machine
- 310 stitch patterns including: 32 utility, 84 decorative & 2 full alphabets
- 9 Presser feet & extension table included
- 1/4 inch and walking foot included
- Stitch width up to 7 mm
- Modern design and performa
EverSewn makes very creative machines and has a unique style and MO and this model certainly follows that.
This machine has a very high value to performance ratio. It has 310 stitch patterns, plus 2 full alphabets for all your monogramming needs.
You can then save all your individual stitch combinations in the memory and access them fast next time you need them. In addition to all this technology, this machine is famous for being as quiet as a mouse and fast as well.
All-round this is one of the best monogramming machines at a great price point.
6. Brother PE535 Embroidery Machine
- 80 Built-in designs: The PE535 features 80 built-in embroidery designs including kids designs, holiday, floral and many more
- 9 Built-in fonts: 6 English and 3 Japanese lettering fonts allow you to personalize your creations
- USB Port: The USB port allows you to upload and store your own embroidery designs to your PE535s built-in memory
- Large color touchscreen: An expansive 3.2 inch LCD color touchscreen allows you to preview your designs before stitching
- 4 X 4 Embroidery field: This Brother embroidery machine is built with a 4 x 4 Embroidery field and includes a hoop
- The PE535 is an embroidery machine and does not function as a traditional sewing mach
The Brother PE535 has 80 built-in embroidery designs. It has 9 built-in fonts, which means you can meet all your monogramming needs without having to resort to buying new ones online and downloading them onto your device.
If you still need to do this there is a USB for that inbuilt. The touchscreen is a beautiful looking 3.2” and it allows you to preview designs before you begin the job. The embroidery field is 4×4 and while this is not massive, it is still big enough for most monogramming jobs.
Additionally, it has a nifty little automatic needle threader that will make the tricky task of needle threading way easier.
If you are a beginner in the monogramming and embroidery space, then this machine is renowned as being very beginner-friendly. Instructions are clear and inputs are logical.
7. Brother LB5000S Star Wars Computerized Machine
- STAR WARS CLASSICS FACEPLATES: The LB5000S comes with 3 interchangeable character faceplates including Darth Vader, R2-D2 and Princess Leia in addition to a Star Wars logo faceplate
- STAR WARS DESIGN PACK: 10 Star Wars designs are available for download from iBroidery.com with the included code along with 10 additional intergalactic inspired designs
- 80 BUILT-IN DESIGNS PLUS 103 SEWING STITCHES: The LB5000S features 80 built-in embroidery designs and 103 sewing stitches including 10 styles of auto-size buttonholes
- LARGE COLOR TOUCHSCREEN: Preview your designs before stitching with the 3.2 inch LCD color touchscreen display
- 4 X 4 EMBROIDERY FIELD: This computerized combination embroidery and sewing machine is built with a 4 inch x 4 inch embroidery field with an included hoop, embroidery arm and 7 sewing f
This model of the Brother LB500 is especially aimed at star wars fans but offers a lot more besides looks.
Packaged in with the machine you get 3 interchangeable character faceplates absolutely for free. You also get 10 free star wars designs free from the online store.
This machine comes with all the modern aspects you would expect from a monogram and embroidery machine. They include a USB port, color touchscreen, and an automatic needle threader.
Is there a Star Wars fanatic in your family that wants to learn embroidery and monogramming? This might just be the best option to get them started.
8. Brother SE1900 Sewing Embroidery
- 138 Built-in designs: The SE1900 comes with 138 Built-in designs and 11 embroidery fonts perfect for monogramming
- Advanced needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and quilting combo machine includes an advanced needle threading function that easily pushes the thread through the needle with the press of a lever and a jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- 240 Built-in sewing stitches: The SE1900 features 240 Built-in sewing stitches including 10 styles of auto-size buttonholes
- Large color touchscreen: Preview your designs and browse editing options on the large full color, 3.2 inch LCD touchscreen display
- 5 X 7 Embroidery field: This Brother combo embroidery and sewing machine is built with a 5 x 7 Embroidery field for larger designs with an included hoop and 8 sewing f
The brother SE1900 is a monster of a machine and one that has 138 designs and 11 fonts to meet all your monogramming desires. It features an advanced needle threader for ease of use.
The LCD screen is 3.2” and is one of the best-looking color screens we have seen on an embroidery machine. The inbuilt embroidery field is also large and comes in at 5” x 7”.
This will allow for a lot of flexibility when sewing. The work area can be lit brightly, meaning that it is possible to work well even in poor light.
This machine is at the higher end of what is available and it is very good at most aspects of sewing. A true all-rounder that stands out with its quality and speed.
How to Pick the Best Monogramming Machine – Buying Guide
The field of embroidery and monogramming machines is dominated by Brother, but do not be afraid to consider other brands. Each of them has their strengths and weaknesses and will provide something different.
Value vs performance
Be aware of your needs and make sure you know the main reasons you use your machine. It is easy to end up paying for features on a machine that you may not use.
Don’t fall into this trap. Do your research well and you will achieve the best value to performance ratio.
Embroidery field and hoop size
Be aware of the different sizes of embroidery fields available. The budget options will have a small area and those will stifle your creativity options somewhat.
The more space you have the more freedom. The same applies to hoop sizes. The most common size is 4×4” and will be able to stitch most monograms.
If you need to work with larger designs though, you may have to buy bigger hoops and this will bump up the price. Monogramming especially requires a bigger field to work on.
If you are planning to work with colorful designs, then a full-color display LCD screen may be a good investment. This will allow you to follow patterns accurately and use the correct threads.
Make sure the machine has a port to access a computer so that you can install additional fonts. Without it, you will be limited to the ones that are built into the device.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Best Monogramming Machine
What is Monogramming?
Monogramming is the process of applying fonts, letters, and numbers to fabrics and materials. It is often used for applying initials to towels and handkerchiefs, for example, or the hotel name to sheets.
What is the difference between monogramming and embroidery?
While with embroidery you can create intricate and complex designs, monogramming only applies to small patterns and especially lettering. You get limited options with monogramming compared to embroidery, but it is also much easier to master.
To put it simply, monogramming is the embroidery of small designs and letters.
What is a monogramming machine? Is it the same as an embroidery machine?
A monogramming machine is the starting point for a lot of home embroiderers and owners of clothing stores and boutiques. It is an entryway to commercial embroidery businesses.
They are embroidery machines that specialize in the specific task of sewing initials and letters to fabrics. You will use an embroidery machine to do monogramming, and most include not only patterns but fonts and letters.