It is said, scissors are the craters first love. Its tough to choose the best paper cutting scissors but its worth do spend some time to recognize the best. Will you go for straight or curved, what would be the metal type? Which brand makes the best? and of course which ones are better and comfortable to use? Lets find out.
Why Do You Need Scissors for Cutting Papers?
Of many tools, the comfort, precision, accuracy that a scissor brings in cutting paper is precious and adorable.
They are like crafter’s first love. They consist of a pair of metal blades which are connected in a way that the meeting of blades and cutting materials place between them when bringing together the handles.
Things to Consider Before Buying Best Paper Cutting Scissors
It is an irony that choosing the best paper cutting scissor is a difficult but important job. That’s why there is a wide range of scissor preferences and opinions among general people and professionals. So you have to choose the perfect paper cutting scissor which can meet up your demand efficiently.
You should not compromise in this regard. You have to consider the strength and sharpness of the blade, handle’s comfort, safety, size etc.
Sharpness of Blade
A sharp blade is very important to get the satisfaction in your paper cutting. Choose scissors with blade coating and beveling if you want smooth cuts. Three types of blade finishes are there usually; uncoated steel, titanium coated and fluorine coated.
Most of the scissor blades are made of steel. You should choose a scissor whose blade has a fluorine or titanium coating. The fluorine coating doesn’t let the sticky residue to build upon the blades. The titanium coating provides three times more durability than the uncoated ones.
Another thing in a blade is a beveled edge. It is a slanted edge, not perpendicular to a surface. For safety and wear resistance, the paper cutting scissor usually has this kind of edge. You should consider it for extra protection.
It’s important to feel comfortable when you hold a scissor. And, this comfort of the handle depends on the size, structure, and material of the handle.
The scissors which are full-sized with asymmetrical handle holes are the most comfortable to hold on. They are usually built in a way that you can put your thumb into the upper hole and other two fingers into the lower one. Thus they help in the balancing process.
There is another type- equal sized handle holes. You can put your thumb through one hole and another finger through the other. They are not as comfortable as the above.
When it comes to material, paper cutting scissors can have plastic handles with rubber or plastic lining in the holes may be to add extra comfort.
The safety is important depending on for whom the scissor is for. If the scissor is for children there should come some safety features like plastic blade guards. The plastic guard prevents children to accidentally hurt themselves by covering the exterior of the blades. Some scissors may have sheaths which also cover the blades.
The scissors come in a wide range of shape and size. The small scissors are portable, compact and good for traveling bag kit but less sharp than large scissors. The larger ones are not much portable but are very sharp and versatile for many applications. You should choose according to your need.
Best Paper Cutting Scissors
If you are a left handed or right handed person, you will need the scissor accordingly. While selecting scissors, the lefties should be more careful as most of the scissors are made for righties. They have to find their best scissor which is comfortable.
The best scissor should have good quality material, should be durable, accurate and precise in cutting papers.
Top 6 Best Paper Cutting Scissors
1. Westcott 13901 Titanium Bonded Scissors
- Titanium bonded blades are 3X harder than stainless steel; blades stay sharper longer
- Corrosion resistant
- Contoured soft grip handles
- Ideal for paper, cardboard, light line, fabric and other materials. Product dimensions: 10.9 x 0.8 x 4.4 inches
- Manufacturer's limited lifetime warranty
This Westcott scissor features strong titanium blade which is basically three times harder than staa inless steel. You will love its manufacture. The blades are sharper and made to last long. You can use it comfortably in the office, kitchen, and home. They are even effective in cutting herbs. You can keep it for a long time as they are corrosion resistant.
The scissors have soft grip handles which provide extra comfort during use. The scissor is a multipurpose one which can be used in paper cutting, cardboard, fabric and so on. They are lightweight and fashionable. There is a screw at the joining for re-adjusting the grip.
This is a pretty good scissor to have and to use. Some reports have been found though. Some reported that the scissor isn’t as durable as described; the blades and handles break after a while.
2. Zitriom Titanium Scissors 4 Pack
- 4 PACK SCISSORS - 3 Big scissors (8-inch) with Titanium blades and 1 small scissor (5-inch) with stainless steel blades
- HIGH QUALITY BLADES - Made of high quality titanium and stainless steel for guaranteed sharpness beyond 100,000 cuts
- All PURPOSE SCISSORS - Easily cut photos, paper, crafts, plastic, and fabric to fulfill everyday cutting needs
- SOFT COMFORT GRIP - Plastic and rubber handles to allow better control; designed for right- or left-handed use
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE - We will get you a free replacement shipped out, with no questions asked
The pack of titanium scissors can be your best paper cutting scissor as they are multi-tasking and you can have them as your home package.
There are two kinds of four scissors. The smallest one is for small uses like sewing maybe which features stainless steel blade. The other three are bigger and are of the same size; their blades are made of titanium. The blades are extremely sharp. So, you should keep them away from children.
They can easily cut paper, photos, plastic cardboard and so on. For better controlling, the handles are made of plastic and rubber and coated with various colors. The scissor is designed for both right and left-handed.
The pack of 4 scissors is quite a good one to have in your house. The grip of the scissor is not that satisfactory; many found the hole smaller to put fingers into it and so, uncomfortable.
3. Fiskars 5 Inch Non-stick Titanium Softgrip Detail Scissors
- Ideal for cutting tight patterns and making quick snips through a wide variety of materials including paper, cardboard, tape and much more
- Non-stick blade coating makes it easy to cut cleanly through materials with sticky adhesives
- Titanium-enhanced stainless-steel blades make clean cuts and stay sharp through heavy use
- Double-loop handle offers excellent control for right- and left-handed users
If you want a small but precisely effective scissor, you should have this Fiskars scissor.
This 5-inch scissor is ideal for cutting tight patterns and snipping quickly through materials like paper, plastic, cardboard etc. The scissor features titanium enhanced stainless steel blades which are very sharp and durable. These can be used for heavy uses and provides clean cuts.
The scissor has no-stick blade coating which helps in clean cuts through the materials with sticky adhesives. The scissor is very comfortable for both right and left-handed people as it has double loop handles. The scissor is lightweight and has excellent control.
You should have this scissor at your home if it fills up your demand.
4. Clear Cuts Titanium Scissors – 3 Shears in One Pack
- Titanium bonded blades cut through paper cleanly and seamlessly... which make them the best craft scissors
- These sharp dressmaking scissors are ideal for embroidery and sewing. They'll slice your fabric with their fine precision edges - perfect fabric cutting scissors
- The Best Gift for Him or Her - 3 scissors set - small, medium and large. All of these scissors are comfortable to hold because of the soft comfort grip handle.
- 3 times harder than stainless steel and will last longer. They are lightweight and ergonomic - professional office scissors
- Excellent performance on long running cuts and stay sharp through heavy use - great fabric scissors and best gifts for arts and crafts.
If you want a set of scissor of different sizes and multi-tasking, you can count on it.
The pack consists of three scissors, small, medium and large. They feature titanium bonded blades which cut paper cleanly. These are best for crafting, dress-making, and embroidery. The blades are sharp and can cut your fabric with fine precision. It has soft comfort grip handle which makes it comfortable to hold.
They are made to last long, are lightweight and ergonomic. They can be used at the house and also for office works. The blades are rust resistant; provides high performance.
Some scissors are reported to have less sharpness and less durability. Without some reports, this is a good scissor pack to have.
5. Scotch Precision Ultra Edge Non-Stick Scissor
- Titanium-fused blades stay sharp beyond 100,000 cuts
- No sticky build-up on blades
- Ideal for cardstock, crafts and fabric
- The titanium-fused blades stay 5X sharper than stainless steel blades
- Comfort grip handles
This Scotch scissor is a pretty good one to have in your house or office.
The scissor has extremely sharp blades which are titanium fused. This makes the scissor more durable and strong. The scissor has no-stick blade coating which helps in clean cuts through the materials with sticky adhesives. The scissor is neither very loose nor very tight and is best for paper cutting.
It is ideal for crafting, fabric, and cardstock. The scissor has comfort grip handles. It is equally great for both the left and right-handers. The blades are rust-resistant; the sharpness never deteriorates. The scissor is lightweight and the overall construction is very good and fashionable.
Without some reports regarding its durability, the Scotch scissor is a nice scissor to have in your house and office.
6. OLFA Precision Smooth Edge Scissors
- Designed for precision cutting
- High-impact ABS handle
- Extra-large, symmetrical handle design for right- and left-hand use
- Stainless steel blades sharpened to the tip
- Industrial-strength stainless steel rivet won't loosen over time
If you like to have an optimized, balanced and efficient scissor, you should have this one.
The scissor features stainless steel blades which are extremely sharp. It has maintained a high quality and provides the best performance. It is lightweight and designed for precision cutting. It has high impact ABS handle(An amorphous thermoplastic terpolymer). The handles are made extra large and symmetrical to be comfortably used by both the left and right-handers.
The scissor has wide grip holes which are very comfortable to hold. And, the blades and grip don’t get loose with time. The quality retains along with the durable scissor with time. You can cut anything like paper, cotton or fabric, photos, wool and so on.
This scissor has no bad reports regarding its quality and durability. You should definitely have one belonging to you.
How to Use Scissors for Crafting in Right Way
The crafting scissors are technically the standard scissors. They are used in many types of works. These have usually long blades and pointy tips; are designed to cut long, straight and smooth in different types of materials. If I say frankly, these types of scissors are most neglected ones. They are usually cheap and so, most of the people don’t care about them.
Many use its tip to open cans or use them to cut jewelry wires. Sometimes, even that’s not enough; many people cut clay or dinks with them. No-one really worries about them. But, it’s not the right way to use any crafting scissors.
You should not use these scissors for any kind of works that they are not supposed to perform. Otherwise, you will need dozens of crafting scissors every month. Use them only for what they have been made and that’s the only right way to use them.
Few Safety Tips
You should have some precautions while using scissors to keep yourself and others safe from injuries.
- Use your scissor properly by holding it as it’s supposed to be.
- Select the right type of scissor for your work.
- Keep the scissors away from children.
- Don’t walk, run, and even avoid talking while working with scissors.
- Don’t try to play games with it or make a joke with someone by it.
- Maintain your scissor and take good care of it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. How does a Scissor Cut?
Ans: A scissor consists of metal blades in which the sharpened edges remain against each other and slides when the two handles are closed. They are used in cutting various types of materials like paper, plastic etc.
Q. Can a fabric scissor be used on paper?
Ans: It may be but shouldn’t be used. If you use a fabric scissor to cut a paper, the blades will become blunt and won’t cut the fabric smoothly next time.
We have tried to give you some information about the best paper cutting scissors. There are more scissors available in the market. You have to remember how to choose the best scissor while buying. It’s very important. You should buy the right type of scissor which can be fit in your demand and work. Don’t try to get fancy ones and waste your money and effort. Be wise and choose wisely.
Best of luck.