Last Updated on January 10, 2023
Whether you’re a novice or a seasoned sewing machine sewer, choosing the best sewing machine for bag making is not an easy task. In this article we will show you our favorites!
When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A good straight stitch on inexpensive denim is too different from what’s required to sew through multiple layers of heavyweight duck cloth. Nobody wants to spend hours trying machines that don’t perform well.
Worry no more! We’ve put together this guide that dives into some of the best sewing machines for bag making out there.
Although they all say that they have the best sewing machine, not every single one might be best for you. So sit back and flip through these product reviews to help you choose the best sewing machine for your next bag sewing projects.
1. Janome HD3000 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
The Janome HD3000 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine is our choice for the overall best sewing machine for bag making for the money.
- Built-in needle threader
- Reverse stitch lever
- Snap-on presser feet
- Foot pressure adjustment
- 18 stitches, 1 one step buttonhole
The Janome HD3000 is often considered the industry leader in heavy-duty sewing machines. This type of machine has got almost every single function you might ever need in the sewing process.
It’s relatively easy to create various projects with 18 built-in stitches and styles of one-step auto-size buttonholes. It is equipped with a heavy-duty metal frame which makes this machine sturdy and durable.
Despite being a heavy-duty sewing machine, it’s still pretty lightweight, having dimensions of 10 x 19 x 15 inches. It has got free arm capacity, making it very convenient for you to sew various types of projects.
All of this, along with the substantial accessory bundle, makes Janome HD 3000 a fantastic option for anyone seeking a heavy-duty sewing machine.
2. Juki TL-2010Q Portable Sewing Machine
The Juki TL-2010Q Portable Sewing Machine is our choice for the overall best sewing machine for bag making regardless of cost.
- Light weight and portable
- Arm and bed of TL-2010Q is contructed of aluminum die-casting
- Larger work area - wider handling area than conventional sewing machines
- Automatic Thread Trimmer
- Maximum Predetermined Stop Position of the Nee
Juki TL-2010Q is one of our top picks as the best sewing machine for bag-making projects. It is a sturdy machine with incredible performance capabilities.
The stitch quality is guaranteed to be perfect for all types of materials. The stitch speed can go up 1,500 stitches/minute, which means you could get your project finished in no time!
This sewing machine features a 1-needle lockstitch function, which is perfect for sewing leather. It also has a quick-set bobbin, which is convenient and time-saving.
The sewing machine is easy to use and lightweight, so it’s portable. It is also an excellent choice for those with no space for a bulky sewing machine at home but still want something powerful enough to handle different tasks.
There is no doubt that Juki TL-2010Q should be on your list!
3. Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, CS6000i
The Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, CS6000i is our choice for the best cheap sewing machine for bag making.
- 60 Unique built-in stitches: The Brother CS6000i includes 60 built-in sewing stitches, including decorative stitches and 7 styles of auto-size buttonholes
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Included accessories: The CS6000i includes a hard protective case, wide table, 10 sewing feet, needle set including twin needle, 3 bobbins and more
- LCD Screen: Easily select your stitches with the touch of a button and view your selections on the LCD display
- 25 Year limited warranty: The CS6000i is backed by a 25 year limited warranty with free technical support for the life of the product
- This product is intended for sale only in the US at 120 volts, and any other use or sale voids the warran
If you love making bags and quilts, you should keep this tiny but mighty machine in mind. The first thing that grabs attention is its compactness.
Don’t let the small size fool you, as this machine might be small, but it’s very powerful and boasts 60 built-in stitches! It has a large workspace provided by an extension table, giving enough space to move around the fabric quickly.
A unique feature of this machine is the outstanding computerized stitch control. Setting the pattern, stitch length, and speed is extremely easy, and has amazing results.
For creating your own personalized projects, starting from home decorations and finishing with bags and garments, the Brother CS6000i is a perfect match.
Lastly, it comes with 25-year warranty coverage and free technical assistance for the duration of the product’s life.
4. Janome 3160QDC Computerized Sewing Machine
The Janome 3160QDC Computerized Sewing Machine is another great sewing machine for bag making.
- - 60 Built-In Sewing Stitches and 6 Built-In Buttonholes - Built-In Automatic Needle Threader - No More Eye Strain! Simply Pull Down the Needle Threader, Place Your Thread in the Hook and Pull Back / Easy to Use Control Panel with LCD Panel - The Easy-to-Use Control Panel makes Sewing a Cinch
- - Jam Proof Easy-Set Top-Loading Bobbin System - Its Easy To Change Your Bobbin. Simply Follow the Track and the Machine will Automatically Bring the Bobbin Thread Up For You. There is No Need to Worry About Running Off the Edge of Your Project Because the Bobbin System is Jam-Proof
- - Handy Function Buttons - The Thread Cutter Button will Cut Both the Top and Bottom Thread with the Touch of a Button. The Reverse Stitch Button will Have Your Machine Sew in Reverse for Reinforced Stitching. The Lock Stitch Button Finishes the Stitch You are Sewing so You Don’t End Up with Half a Stitch Pattern. The Needle Up/Down Button will Bring the Needle Up or Down with the Touch of a Button and the Start/Stop Button will Start the Machine without the Need for a Foot Control!
- - Comes With an Incredible Amount of Accessories - Hard Cover, Extension Table, Open-Toe Even Feed Foot, Open-Toe Darning Foot, Zig-Zag “A” Sewing Foot, Overedge C Sewing Foot, Zipper “E” Sewing Foot, Satin Stitch “F” Sewing Foot, Blind Hem “G” Sewing Foot
- - Also Comes With - 1/4” Seam “O” Sewing Foot with Guide, Zig-Zag “F2” Sewing Foot, Automatic Buttonhole “R” Sewing Foot, Assorted Needle Set, Spool Holder (Large), Spool Holder (Small), Extra Spool Pin, Bobbins, Screwdriver, Lint Brush, Seam Ripper, and an Instruction B
Janome 3160QDC has heavy-duty capabilities that are suitable for beginners, intermediates, and even expert users. The product gives you enough space to store your accessories, thanks to its free arm design.
This feature allows you to reach narrow areas inside collars or between buttons more easily compared with other models available in the market today.
Another great feature of this particular model is its drop feed dog function which prevents any fabric from bunching up while stitching seams on thick materials. The throat section light helps you see what you’re stitching while working in low-light situations or matching colors.
It has an automatic needle threader, six built-in buttonhole styles, adjustable stitch length, and width, drop feed mode for free-motion sewing, and speed controls with reverse. You will never go wrong with this computerized sewing machine.
5. SINGER | Heavy Duty 4452 Sewing Machine
The SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 Sewing Machine is also another great sewing machine for bag making.
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 sewing machine boasts an array of features that make creating elegant garments and gifts for yourself and others fun and exciting. The Sewing machine with 32 built-in stitches includes 6 Basic, 7 Stretch, 18 Decorative Stitches and 1 Fully Automatic 1-step Buttonholes. A large variety of stitches for all types of sewing and perfect for crafts, home decor, clothing construction and much more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration, Machine Size - 15.5 x 6.25 x 12 inches
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The Singer 4452 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1,100 stitches-per-minute, so projects can be sewn quickly. The 60% Stronger Motor than standard sewing machines allows it to sew through heavyweight fabrics with ease.
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: Four bonus Heavy Duty optimized accessories included: Even Feed / Walking Foot for layers of fabric, Non-Stick Foot for leather and vinyl, a 5-pack of Size 16 needles and a Clearance Plate for thick seams. Plus a variety of must-have accessories are included with all-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam ripper / lint brush, quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, spool pin felt are all conveniently located and stored in the accessory tray. A soft-sided dust cover is also included in the packaging
- BEST SELLING SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 sewing machine is a true workhorse. The stainless steel bedplate enables smooth fabric flow and the heavy duty interior metal frame ensures skip-free sewing. Top drop-in bobbin is easy to insert, remove and monitor thread supply
- This sewing machine is warranted for use in the US and Canada at 110 volts only
- Amps (0.7) / Watts (84) / Volts (120V) / Hertz (
Many professionals in high regard hold this model of a sewing machine. The SINGER | Heavy Duty 4452 has a wide range of features that are useful for quilting, including an adjustable stitch length and width, 32 built-in stitches, drop feed mode for free-motion sewing, and an extra high presser foot lifter.
The machine also has a metal frame to keep it sturdy while you work through your projects.
Singer Heavy Duty 4452 is one of your go-to solutions for the best sewing machine for bag making. It is not only great for quilting but also perfect for making handbags and other accessories.
You can even use this for occasional home repairs such as hems on curtains, garment creation, crafts, and more!
6. Brother SE600 Sewing and Embroidery Machine
The Brother SE600 Sewing and Embroidery Machine is also a good sewing machine for bag making.
- 80 Built-in designs: The SE600 comes with 80 built-in designs and 6 embroidery lettering fonts for personalizing your projects
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and embroidery combo machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- 103 Built-in sewing stitches: This machine features 103 sewing stitches including 10 styles of auto-size buttonholes. Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches per minute)- 710
- Large color touchscreen: The Brother SE600 computerized sewing and embroidery machine features a large 3.2 LCD color touchscreen allowing you to preview your designs before stitching
- 4 X 4 Embroidery field: This computerized combo machine is built with a 4 x 4 Embroidery field with an included hoop, embroidery arm and 7 sewing feet
- This product is intended for sale only in the US at 120 volts, and any other use or sale voids the warran
The Brother SE600 is one of the most popular sewing and embroidery machines. It comes with 103 built-in stitches and 80 designs that will quickly create beautiful designs on your fabrics.
One of its most fascinating features, the LCD screen, allows you to choose from the wide variety of stitches offered.
This machine can handle heavy-duty fabrics such as denim, leather, and upholstery materials, making the Brother SE600 one of the best machines for your bag-making projects. You will also love that it has an automatic threader, drop feed function, adjustable length buttonholes, and a 1-step buttonhole for quickly completing different tasks.
With its innovative frame design, this sophisticated sewing machine is lightweight but sturdy enough to provide exceptional performance.
Questions and Answers
What is the best sewing machine to make bags?
The Janome HD3000, Juki TL-2010Q, Brother CS6000i, Janome 3160QDC, Singer 4452, and Brother SE600 have been proven to be among the best sewing machines if you are planning to buy one for yourself. Any of these sewing machines will work great for making bags.
What’s important is that you check the width of their needle, which should be between 8 to 14. This range will allow you to sew through thick fabrics such as upholstery and denim without breaking a sweat. In addition, make sure the machine comes with a free arm feature so you can sew around tight curves when turning your work or sewing interior pockets.
Heavy-duty machines tend to come with stiff gears, allowing them to perform their best on thicker fabric materials. Nonetheless, this kind of tension also makes it harder for the machine to glide on thin fabrics such as silk and lingerie cloth. Overall, when choosing between heavy-duty and medium-duty sewing machine, ensure that the product you’re buying is durable and can deliver its best performance on thick materials.
Why is it necessary to know sewing machine classification?
When buying a sewing machine, you have to determine which type suits your requirements. There are four types of available machines for sewing needs: home use, industrial, commercial and computerized.
Home-use is ideal for beginners who want a more manageable task for learning how to sew. At the same time, industrial use is only recommended for professionals in producing clothes or other items that require high production.
Commercial use can perform stitching on thin materials (similar to home-use), but its weight and size are mostly suited for bigger workloads due to its sturdy design. Lastly, computerized sewing machines come with many features, including automatic needle threaders, easy stitch selection, and more. However, they tend to be heavy compared to other types in the market today (due to their internal mechanics and additional features).
By understanding the classification of each type of sewing machine, it can either help you decide which one to take for your specific needs or provide guidance (when in doubt) before making a purchase.
Can an industrial sewing machine sew leather?
Absolutely! Though it depends entirely on the specific type of industrial sewing machine you have in mind. When shopping for an industrial model, however, always remember to take note of its classification (whether it’s an “Industrial Chainstitch” or “Lockstitch”) so that you can get a better understanding of how it works.
This will not only help you find the best one suited for your needs at hand but also be able to identify whether or not they can sew leather before purchasing. On top of that, other factors should be considered when shopping for this kind of machine, such as speed and maximum load capacity before anything else.
Some Final Words
There is no doubt that the sewing career has boosted up the fashion, apparel, and accessories industry. The invention of sewing machines paved the way for a faster and efficient method to make clothes, bags, shoes, home decors, and many more.
But before you purchase one on your own, always remember to consider the quality over price tag so that it will help you save time and money and last longer than what you expected.
On the other hand, if you want to show off what kind of talent or skills you have, then there’s no doubt that this career path will be your way towards achieving your dream life as long as you work hard for it. We hope you find this article helpful and able to give you a better idea on how to pick the best sewing machine for bag making.