Last Updated on January 10, 2023
Are you looking for the best sewing machine for free motion quilting? Look no further! In this article we will review them so you can pick the one that’s right for you.
When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are a beginner in free motion quilting, you might be wondering what it is? Free motion quilting is an art form that requires years of dedication and practice to master.
But don’t worry! The right sewing machine for free motion quilting can make things much easier for you.
Since you are opting for a sewing machine for free motion quilting, there are several features that you should consider. Buying a cheap sewing machine without those features will only complicate things.
So, let’s take a look at the best sewiung machines for free motion quilting below.
1. Juki TL-2010Q Portable Sewing Machine
The Juki TL-2010Q Portable Sewing Machine is our choice for overall best sewing machine for free motion quilting.
- Light weight and portable
- Arm and bed of TL-2010Q is contructed of aluminum die-casting
- Larger work area - wider handling area than conventional sewing machines
- Automatic Thread Trimmer
- Maximum Predetermined Stop Position of the Needle
This sewing machine makes high-quality stitches without skipped sutures, making it our top choice as the best free motion quilting machine. It will allow you to make a perfect finish even without much effort, and you are less likely to experience a broken or tangling thread.
Juki TL-2010Q is an ideal sewing machine for free motion quilting as it works excellently with thick materials, thanks to its large throat space. In terms of quality, this portable sewing machine is very efficient and produces high-quality results.
Both advanced and beginner in free motion quilting love the speed control feature of this sewing machine. Its highest speed allows comfortable free motion quilting and is easy to get used to.
If you are looking into sewing machines for free motion quilting that is great for home use, Juki TL-2010Q is among your best choice. It provides a comfortable quilting experience without making loud noises or vibrations during operation.
2. SINGER 4452 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
The SINGER 4452 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine is our choice for best sewing machine for free motion quilting for heavy use.
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 sewing machine boasts an array of features that make creating elegant garments and gifts for yourself and others fun and exciting. The Sewing machine with 32 built-in stitches includes 6 Basic, 7 Stretch, 18 Decorative Stitches and 1 Fully Automatic 1-step Buttonholes. A large variety of stitches for all types of sewing and perfect for crafts, home decor, clothing construction and much more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration, Machine Size - 15.5 x 6.25 x 12 inches
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The Singer 4452 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1,100 stitches-per-minute, so projects can be sewn quickly. The 60% Stronger Motor than standard sewing machines allows it to sew through heavyweight fabrics with ease.
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: Four bonus Heavy Duty optimized accessories included: Even Feed / Walking Foot for layers of fabric, Non-Stick Foot for leather and vinyl, a 5-pack of Size 16 needles and a Clearance Plate for thick seams. Plus a variety of must-have accessories are included with all-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam ripper / lint brush, quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, spool pin felt are all conveniently located and stored in the accessory tray. A soft-sided dust cover is also included in the packaging
- BEST SELLING SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 sewing machine is a true workhorse. The stainless steel bedplate enables smooth fabric flow and the heavy duty interior metal frame ensures skip-free sewing. Top drop-in bobbin is easy to insert, remove and monitor thread supply
- This sewing machine is warranted for use in the US and Canada at 110 volts only
- Amps (0.7) / Watts (84) / Volts (120V) / Hertz (
Singer 4452 takes the seat for the best heavy-duty sewing machine for free motion quilting. Unlike other quilting machines, it offers more power at an affordable price. Not to mention that it allows high-speed sewing compared to traditional sewing machines, making 1100 stitches per minute.
If you need a quilting machine for heavy use, especially if you have a lot of projects lining up from your small business, the stitch speed of Singer 4452 will make things easier for you. This Singer quilting machine claims to be 50% more powerful and speedy compared to other models under the same category.
In free motion quilting, you also need better material flow to avoid ugly stitches. Singer 4452 made it to this list because it features a stainless steel bed plate, which allows smoother feeding of layers through the throat space while quilting. It is also ideal for sewing large quilts and quilting multiple heavy, thick layers of fabric.
Just like any heavy-duty sewing machine should be, Singer 4452 has excellent stability. It doesn’t shake or shudder when quilting, allowing quilters and sewers to work on their projects comfortably. Also, it comes with five packs of 15 needles that you can use for free motion quilting.
3. Brother XR3774 Sewing and Quilting Machine
The Brother XR3774 Sewing and Quilting Machine is our choice for best sewing machine for free motion quilting for home use.
- 37 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The Brother XR3774 includes 37 built-in stitches including blind hem, decorative and quilting stitches and a 1-step buttonhole
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The XR3774 quilting and sewing machine comes with a machine cover, wide table, 8 sewing feet, instructional DVD, and more
- VERSATILE FREE ARM: The Brother XR3774 is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing and quilting projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The XR3774 quilting and sewing machine comes with Brother at your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
- This product is intended for sale only in the US at 120 volts, and any other use or sale voids the warran
For those looking for the best sewing machine for free motion quilting ideal for home use, opt for Brother XR3774. Unlike other free motion quilting machines, beginners and intermediate quilters can enjoy this sewing tool.
This quilting and sewing machine also offers 37 stitch options that are all beautiful and unique. You can also choose from different stitching features.
Its LED lights, which you can find on the sewing table, provide better visibility to the stitch area. This feature is helpful, especially when working in darker surroundings.
As mentioned earlier, this free motion quilting machine comes with easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions. It also has enough accessories to get you started, so even beginners can use it right away.
It is our top pick for home use because it has automatic threading, 6.18″ large throat space, a wide variety of built-in stitches, and many more features that make it convenient to use. It also has a drop feed dog system that easily activates free motion quilting and a presser foot.
Questions and Answers
What is free motion quilting?
Free motion quilting is a quilting style wherein you stitch three pieces of fabric together using a sewing machine. You are free to use any design you wish to stitch on the cloth to produce a result that satisfies your artistic cravings.
Can any sewing machine do free motion quilting?
Yes, you can free motion quilt with a regular sewing machine. However, you should use one that will allow you to disengage or lower your feed dogs. Besides, free motion quilting is basically straight stitching fabrics.
Is free motion quilting hard?
With a regular sewing machine, yes.
Free motion quilting only becomes challenging to master when you use a sewing machine not ideal for quilting. So, consider investing in the best sewing machine for quilting for a better quilting experience and results.
To make free motion quilting easier for you, below are some of the tips that might help you out:
1. Practice – You need both spatial orientation skills and timing when free motion quilting. To master these two skills, dedicate at least 10 minutes daily to practice quilting one small square at a time with a unique free motion filler design.
2. Invest In A Good Working Space – Like doing any other crafts, a good working space also makes a significant difference when free motion quilting. You will be working with thick, heavy fabrics and sometimes large quilts, so you have to invest in a quilting sewing machine that offers a wider working area.
Practicing how to quilt in a small space will make things difficult for you. It is ideal to set up your quilting sewing machine in a flatbed sewing table to practice anytime you want.
3. Increase Your Grip – Usually, sewers use cotton fabric on their quilting projects, which is soft and slippery on the fingers. When free motion quilting, you have to move the quilt over the sewing and quilting machine smoothly. However, doing so can be quite difficult if your hands are slipping over the quilt’s surface.
Increasing your grip using quilting gloves can increase your precision and control when free motion quilting. These gloves have grippy tips that let you grip the surface of the quilt with your fingertips and smoothly move thick, heavy quilts over the machine.
How do you keep stitches even when free motion quilting?
Use mid-speed if your quilting machine has a speed control feature. Setting the sewing speed at mid-speed will allow you to make even stitches when free motion quilting.
But if you are using a mechanical sewing machine for quilting, placing a book under the pedal. It will stop it at the fastest sewing speed you prefer. Remember that sewing with a faster speed makes it easier and smoother to stitch.
What is a free motion quilting foot?
A darning foot, or free motion quilting foot, is a special foot intended to hover over your quilt’s surface. This will let you move the quilt easily in all directions.