Last Updated on May 19, 2021
Is the SINGER 9960 a good sewing machine? Here is our in-depth review!
When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
To be frank, I am not interested in the SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine when I look at it at a local store. There are so many stylish computerized sewing machines available that really attract my eye. I tend to ignore this model until I source units that are currently discount more than 50% off than the normal price on Amazon, then the SINGER 9960 starts to attract my eye.
Not only could I save, but there are several positive comments of this product written by real users. Besides that, I also very confident with the SINGER brand, which is iconic in the sewing machines industry ever since the mid of 1800s.
Basically, SINGER 9960 is a computerized sewing machine with 173 built-in stitches that could be grouped into two major groups: utility and decorative. On top of that, there are several one-step buttonholes and non-continuous stitches such as letters and shapes. A total is 225 stitch options for owners to create endless design patterns on their projects.
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams Has a large selection of stitches including basic, stretch and decorative stitches for fashion sewing, quilting, home decor and crafting There’s even a selection of fonts to personalize projects
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle’s eye, in seconds The built-in needle threader threads the eye of the needle for you, eliminating eye strain and frustration
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has 600 Built-In Stitches including 5 Alphanumeric Fonts and 13 built-in 1-Step Buttonholes with Exclusive Buttonhole Underplate It also has Mirror Imaging and Stitch Elongation providing even more creative possibilities
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches-per-minute, projects can be sewn quickly
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of presser feet are included with the sewing machine: All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Underplate, Button Sewing Foot, Blind Hem Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, Open Toe Foot, Overcasting Foot, Darning and Embroidery Foot, Rolled Hem Foot, Cording Foot, Straight Stitch/Quilting Foot, Even Feed / Walking Foot 110 volt machine designed for United States and Canadian use only
According to the manufacturer, this model is an “electronic sewing machine which will be appreciated by experienced and novice sewers alike.” In other words, it could fulfill all people’s requirements regardless of what kind of sewing projects they would like to do and will serve those owners for at least a few years.
SINGER 9960 Review
Stitch Selection Options
Look at the stitch chart of this SINGER Confidence model. A total of 146 stitch options include basic and stretch stitches, 4 types of one-step buttonholes, decorative stitches, hand-look quilt stitch, an alphabet with upper and lower case, numbers as well as punctuation symbols.
Each stitch option has a pre-programmed setting for its width and length. However, this computerized sewing machine offers users flexibility, which means that they can adjust that pre-programmed setting according to their needs. The maximum stitch width is up to 7mm. Furthermore, users are allowed to edit for expanded variation.
SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine
Do you have any personalized project in which you wish to add a monogram or name with style alphabet? When you look at the chart, you’ll this SINGER Confidence model could help you complete your desired sewing project. Better still, the SINGER 9960 comes with the capability to mirror image and continues design sew options. It also offers a temporary memory for up to 20 characters.
Appearance, Warranty, and Accessories
SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine is made of a heavy-duty metal frame with some plastic parts and accessories. Its approximate dimensions are 17-1/5” x 12 1/2” x 8” (L x W x D) with a weight of 16.5 pounds. As the video shows, this is a free arm sewing machine with accessory storage, which includes five snap-on presser feet. With arm removal, it users are easy to construct shirt sleeves, hem pant legs, etc.
Better still, the workspace is well lit with 2 StayBright LED Lights, which are long-lasting bulbs (100,000 hours) that stay cool all the time regardless of how long the time period you are sewing.
On the left side of the SINGER 9960, an LCD screen that offers easy viewing of stitch patterns includes the stitch width and length. Below the LCD screen, there are several buttons for stitch selection, memory bank setting for up to 20-characters of name, or simple phrases.
Six of the most frequent stitches have a one-touch selector button, and the optimal settings for length and width are automatically adjusted once users press a particular stitch button. However, this setting can be overridden based on custom length or width setting.
Similar to other SINGER Confidence models, the manufacturer is given 25 years limited warranty for the machine head, 5 years warranty for electronic parts such as motors, assembly, light, wiring, and 1 year for labor warranty including adjustments and belts. The accessories that come with the package include
Five snap-on presser feet include zigzag foot (for General Purpose), zipper foot, satin stitch foot, blind hem foot, and buttonhole foot
- 5 pack of needles
- Seam ripper/brush
- 4 Bobbins include the one that attaches to the machine
- 3 Spool caps which are mini, small, and large
- Spool felts
- Auxiliary spool pin for extra-large top thread spool
- Dust Cover for machine protection when not in use
Other Highlight Features
Needless to say, there are several user-friendly and useful features offered by this computerized sewing machine. First of all, it will automatically draw up the bobbin thread once the user places the wound bobbin into the bobbin case and then run the bobbin thread via its guide. Secondly, it has an automatic tacking stitch function; means users need to push a button to tie off decorative stitches.
The start and end of the pattern are reinforced with 4 tiny tacking stitches. This is a great feature to prevent unraveling and aim for quality stitching. For stronger stitching, this SINGER Confidence model has an automatic tie-off function that reinforces the start and end of seams on straight stitches.
The SINGER 9960 is equipped with an automatic and adjustable precision thread tension system to ensure stable stitch quality when straight stitching regardless of how thick it is sewing. There are 3 presser foot height settings: down, up, and extra-up for thick fabrics. Furthermore, there are 13 needle positions to adjust when there is a need for inserting zippers and topstitching.
The following are additional benefits that users could enjoy from this computerized sewing machine:
- Offers convenience clearance of multiple layers of bulky fabric by having the presser foot lifter held in an extra-high position
- Users are allowed to create buttonholes with endlessly long sides, which is ideal when they want to sew non-traditional-sized buttonholes with the feature of a 3-Step infinite length bar-tack buttonhole.
- An audible warning and visual error messages on the LCD screen
- For free-motion embroidery or monograms, there is a conveniently located lever that lower the feed dogs
- SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 will not jam with its jam-proof bobbin system
- SINGER 9960 Review by Real Buyers
As mentioned above, there are several positive comments from customers. Some of them praise its amazing features, including special stretch stitches, hand-look quilt stitches, and the block-style alphabet for simple monogramming. to learn more, read Best Monogramming Machine for Beginners to Become Pro. Another group of people, especially those beginners, praises the easy bobbin system, easy-to-use menus, needle threading, and consistent sewing performance.