Last Updated on January 10, 2023
Do you ever get frustrated whenever a fabric moves around while you’re sewing? If your answer is yes, then using the best sewing clip might just help ease that frustration.
When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sewing clips are a handy addition to sewing kits since they can hold your fabric in place without leaving any holes. Aside from that, they won’t accidentally prick you as you work.
Their flat backs will let you feed the fabric through the foot of a sewing machine without too much hindrance. While it is true that sewing clips aren’t new to the market and that they essentially aren’t any different from bulldog clips, these clips are specifically designed to work with tailors on their projects, especially those who struggle with pins.
By definition, sewing clips are small clips you can use to hold your fabric, seams, and layers all together. Using these clips is a trend among tailors and quilters since they are much easier and safer than pins.
Sewing clips do not differ much from pegs you would typically use in the office when comparing the two’s shape, structure, and design. But, a sewing clip’s main difference from the latter is that it has rubber on its pincers to prevent damage from the fabric being worked on. Having A sewing clip in your kit is helpful whether you’re a simple hobbyist or a professional tailor
1. MumCraft Multipurpose Sewing Clips Pack
The MumCraft Multipurpose Sewing Clips Pack is our choice for overall best handheld sewing clip for the money.
- ★Best Sewing Clips ! They come in sturdy Tin Gift storage box.You will never lose them!
- ★Make it easy to hold multiple layers of fabrics, binding objects like Quilts, and holding together multiple objects. No Pins needed for Sewing!
- ★Perfect for all sorts of crafts. Can be used for post notes and organize papers as paper clips or use them on rope to hang pictures or mementos on there are so many different options of how to use them.
- ★Each clip opens wide to hold layers of fabric and the clip base is flat for easy feeding to the presser foot.you can now sew safely with these must have clips.
- ★Package includes:160 Pcs. Clips Size : 2.5x0.8x1.3cm(LxWxH).Packed in many different beautiful tin boxes
This MumCraft Multipurpose Sewing clip is one of the most versatile options available for tailors. You can use the clips in this pack to hang clothes and ornaments, or use them on a book.
This versatility is the reason for this pack’s popularity among people who sew. Upon purchasing the pack, you will have a total of 160 clips, all of which will be able to serve you and your needs for a long time.
The sheer number of clips that belong in a pack will help you in whatever and however many projects you may be working on. The clips are also color-coordinated to help you sort which clips you will use for which projects.
MumCraft Multipurpose Sewing clips come in a sturdy and reliable tin storage box to help you keep your clips in one place as you work on different projects. This addition makes it a perfect gift fit for people who enjoy sewing as a lifestyle or hobby.
Also, the plastic slips in this set uniformly measure 2.5 x 0.8 x 1.3 cm. These dimensions are an excellent fit for when you need the clips to work with multiple layers of fabric.
2. Taylor Seville Small Magic Clip Sewing and Quilting Clips
The Taylor Seville Small Magic Clip is our choice for best sewing clip regardless of price.
- Use While Sewing or Quilting-No Need to Remove the Clip to Sew. You Can Keep Your Machine Going With Your Magic Clips in Place as Long as You Have 1/8 Inch Clearance Between the Clip and Machine
- Clearly Marked for Ease of Use-The Taylor Seville Originals Small Magic Clips are Clearly Marked at the 1/4 Inch and 1/2 Inch Measure
- Perfect for Quilting or Sewing-The Ideal Sewing Machine Accessories, Magic Clips Help You Keep Your Work in Place for Your Latest Sewing and Quilting Projects. Great Gifts for Quilters
- Holds Quilting Material in Place-Regardless of What Youre Using to Create Your Next Quilt, These Mini Clips Will Hold Everything in Place While You Work
- Keeps Hems in Line-Taylor Seville Magic Clips Will Help You Keep Your Hems Straight and Crisp. Use Them for Hemming Clips to Hold Your Sewing Fabric in Place. You Can Also Use Magic Clips as Craft Cl
This clip set from Taylor Seville is an excellent quilting clip available in both the virtual and land-based markets. The clip set comes with 24 clips, all of which are marked. The markings on each clip are at the quarter and half-inch measure to make them easier to use.
These clips are molded by combining steel and plastic. The manufacturers utilize surgical-grade steel and premium quality plastic to ensure the longevity of the entire set.
Each clip in this set uniformly measures 13.4 x 5.8 x 3.8 inches. They also have a wide-angle reception when it is opened that can accommodate multiple layers and different kinds of fabrics easily.
This uniformity and sheer size of the clips make it a premium choice when tackling several quilting projects at once. The solid construction of every clip in this set makes them ideal for almost any DIY craft available at home.
Also, the clips can lie flat, making it possible for tailors to sew even while holding the fabric. Simply make sure that there will be an eight-inch clearance between the clips and the sewing needle so that no damage will befall either the machine or the clips in the set.
3. Sewing Clips Set by Ottemax
The Sewing Clips Set by Ottemax is our choice for best cheap sewing clip.
- ●Material: High quality Stainless Steel - Smooth polishing, anti-rust, anti-corrosion, waterproof, oil-proof.
- ●Measurement: Total Length: 4inch (11.5cm). Measures hems professionally up to 3 inches wide without any crook.
- ●No more broken needles! Light enough to be flexible and tough, way better than pinning stuff for general purpose sewing, Springs are smooth on fingers for frequent use.
- ●Tough Marking for Long-Term Use - The Markings engraved on the hem ruler
- ●Great Replacement for Traditional Jabbing Sewing Pin, ideal for hemming clothing, curtains skirt, pants or shorts and more, opens like a bobby pin, simply slide clip over your folded fabric,holds them tightly in place when you sew, suitable for machine work and hand sewi
This clip set by Ottemax is one of the few clip sets that come with clear engraving on each clip to make working through projects easier and more organized. The set comes with 15 clips, all of which are made from stainless steel material.
The manufacturers use premium steel for a smooth and uniform finish for the look, which also helps the clips become resistant to rust and corrosion. Also, the clips are oil and waterproof, which only ensures the durability of the clips in this set.
Ottemax sewing clips are also lightweight and have dimensions of 4 x 3. Taking note of these dimensions is important to help you decide whether these are the clips you want to help with your projects.
Additionally, measuring hems and garments professionally is easier with the help of these clips because they have their own markings. Each of the fifteen clips in this set is tough but very flexible.
They can open at a certain limit to help you accommodate more than one layer of fabric to work on at any given time. These clips also work well whether you’re sewing by machine or by hand however, their application around the household isn’t as flexible.
4. Esnshul Multipurpose Sewing Quilt Clips for Fabric
The Esnshul Multipurpose Sewing Quilt Clips is another great sewing clip.
- GET RID OF THOSE NON FUNCTIONAL PINS: Are you still using those old pins that poke your fingers, damage your fabric and do not get the job done? Upgrade your sewing experience with Esnshul sewing and quilting pins! Available in a pack of 100.
- WIDE USES: Other than obvious uses like holding the fabric securely while sewing or quilting, these fabric clips can also be used for organizing papers, hanging clothes, hanging pictures, model building, origami, DIY projects and so much more.
- EASY TO USE: The sewing and quilting clips open up wide to hold large chunks of fabric and feature a flat base for easy feeding to the presser foot. Plus, they are compatible with all sorts of fabrics including thick leather to delicate silk.
- HIGH QUALITY: Crafted from premium quality polycarbonate, our quilting clips are built to last through every day, heavy-duty use. The durability makes them great for use in commercial environments where you need reliable tools and sewing supplies.
- COMES WITH A STORAGE BOX: You can easily store and carry the sewing clips with you anywhere, thanks to the storage box that comes with these pins. This sewing quilting pin set also makes a great gift for anyone who loves sewing and quilti
The Esnshul Multipurpose Sewing Quilt Clips allow you to avoid all the hassle of needing to work with pins that can prick you and destroy your fabric if you’re not careful. This set comes with 100 clips in a storage box for ease of accessibility and organization, ensuring that you won’t lose your clips during and after your projects.
The manufacturers do not specify the size and dimensions of the clips in the set. As such, for the sake of being meticulous, you may need to contact the manufacturers directly to inquire about the dimensions of the clips. This will allow you to figure out whether these are the ones you need for your projects.
The clips in this set are made out of premium and high-quality polycarbonate, a material that ensures durability. It is because polycarbonate is one of the strongest forms that plastic can take hold of. This also allows you to be able to use these clips for commercial and domestic use when you’re not using them for sewing.
Aside from that, these clips are relatively easy to use and can hold multiple layers of fabrics well. The flat design of these clips also allows for easy feeding of the fabrics help through the presser foot. They can also hold almost any kind of fabric, ranging from silk to leather.
5. Ultima Craft Clips
The Ultima Craft Clips is also another great sewing clip.
- Single-Pack of our very popular Ultima Craft Clips - 100 clips!
- 100 quality plastic clips, (25 jumbo and 75 standard size) in different vibrant colors with great holding capacity which makes it easy to hold multiple layers of fabrics, for binding objects like quilts, and holding together multiple objects. No more pins needed for sewing, quilting or crafting!
- Ultima craft clips can be left on the fabric while running it through the sewing machine due to their flat and smooth bottoms. The clips are see-through and marked on the back to help in measuring the depth of the cloth.
- These quilting and craft clips are perfect for all sorts of crafts, sewing and hobbies. You can use them for post notes and organize papers as paper clips or use them on rope to hang pictures or mementos on there are so many different options of how to use them.
- The variety of bright, translucent, vibrant colors allows you to choose the clip that will make the brightest contrast and be easiest to see against any material. This is a true quilting essenti
In this list, the Ultima Craft Clips set is quite pricey and may set you back a few bucks. But, this set comes with 100 clips, 25 clips in jumbo size and 75 in regular size.
The clips are made with plastic and are perfect for any sewing project you have in line. The assortment of sizes and colors allows the performance of this clip set to really shine and allows any good homeowner to use the clips for more than just sewing projects.
With this brand, you can pick a clip that contrasts well with the fabric you’re working with for efficiency. Each clip in this set is made from highly durable plastic that will help you with your sewing project for quite a long time.
Also, its design has a flat base that level the fabric being held and the clips open to accommodate multiple layers effortlessly. It is also possible to switch between clips as layers being held together increase.
FAQs about Sewing Clips
Why Do You Need Sewing Clips?
There are plenty of reasons why any good tailor needs a reliable set of sewing clips. First, clips are the perfect replacement for pins as they have features that keep the sewing experience safe, efficient, and exciting.
Here are other reasons you should add sewing clips to your sewing arsenal if you haven’t already:
Ease of use
Having sewing clips in your kit makes the task of holding your fabric together infinitely more manageable and organized. Simply slide the clip under the edge of the fabric being worked on, clamp down to hold it in place, and begin sewing.
Some brands will need you to remove the clips as they get nearer to the presser foot. Others have such designs that you don’t need to do that, and you can leave them in place while you sew.
Holds multiple layers
The task of pinning together several layers of fabric can be quite an ordeal, especially when you’re working with thick material. Sewing clips make this task more efficient for any tailor.
Clips can open wide to accommodate multiple layers of fabric as you advance through your sewing projects. Their domestic flexibility is also a popular selling point of the sewing clips. Purchasing clips of varying sizes make it possible for anyone to handle both small and large pieces of fabric without the struggle of having to pin one or the other together.
Sewing clips are infinitely safer to use in projects whether you’re a novice, a hobbyist, or a professional seamstress. On the other hand, pins prick and damage the fabric and might injure the user if not handled with care.
Sewing clips do not pose such a threat to the fabric or the tailor, thus keeping the project’s entirety in safe hands. Losing a clip does not nearly pose the same danger as losing a pic that may potentially injure someone while working on a project.
What Features To Consider When You Choose Sewing Clips?
Knowing the features to pay attention to when shopping for sewing clips is important in ensuring that you get the best fit for your craft, hobby, or project.
Number In A Pack
Different manufacturers tend to bring a variety of sewing clip sets into the market. Knowing how much you may need is crucial in picking which set will serve you best over the course of your sewing career.
Sets like the MumCraft Multipurpose Sewing Clips are known to have 160 pieces in one set, while other brands tend to have less. Choosing whether you need a lot of clips or not depends on what types of projects you want to complete and a number of various factors.
Determine where and how you’ll use your clips and figure out how many you will need from there. Once you do, the only thing left is to look for a brand that offers how many you’ll need.
Plastic along with stainless steel are the two most common materials used to manufacture sewing clips. Some brands combine different materials in order to produce a much more unique product like the Taylor Seville sewing clips. Meanwhile, other brands tend not to stray from traditional materials.
The type of material the clips are made of is important to consider since it affects the durability and shelf life of your clips and the type of projects you will be able to work on with them.
Not every sewing clip set in the market features the same size. Some sets are smaller than others, while some are larger.
You can choose whether you want a clip set with a uniform size or a set with varying sizes of clips like the Ultima Sewing Clip set. Carefully consider the types of projects you’re going to be working on for you to figure out whether you’ll need an assortment of sizes for your sewing clips or not.
How Do You Use Sewing Clips Properly?
The design of the sewing clips intuitively tells you how to use them in your projects best. But, to be safe, it’s always best to read the manual that comes with every sewing clip set for you to be educated in the dos and don’ts of using the clips you have purchased.
That being said, it isn’t really hard to learn how to use sewing clips and accommodate them in your projects. Simply identify the parts of the fabric you want to hold together and have the clip clamp onto that part to hold it in position. Use the clip to hold multiple layers of fabric at once and simply remove them as they get closer to the sewing machine’s presser foot.