Last Updated on January 10, 2023
Are you getting into embroidery and need a kit to get started? Here is our guide to the best beginner embroidery kits.
When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Starting a new hobby may seem overwhelming and too much of a trouble, so sometimes we just keep postponing it.
The thing is, with the right research and adequate tools it is not unachievable and highly rewarding. If you are interested in embroidering, either as a hobby or the start of a side business, you will need the best beginner embroidery kit to jump-start your skills.
The right kit will provide everything you need to get a project done and avoid frustration. A pattern, the correct needles, more than enough thread, the signature hoops, and any other tools you may need.
There are some differences, like the intricacy of patterns or color of the fabric that should influence your choice. To help you, let’s take a look at ten of the best embroidery kits for beginners, carefully researched and curated for you.
9 Best Beginner Embroidery Kits
|Top||Caydo Hand Embroidery Kit with 100 Colors Threads, 40 Sewing Pins, 3 Pieces Aida Cloth, Instructions, Embroidery Hoops and Cross Stitch Tools for Adults and Kids Beginners||Check Price!|
|Top||Similane Embroidery Kit 215 Pcs,100 Colors Threads,5 Pcs Embroidery Hoops,3 Pcs Aida Cloth,40 Sewing Pins,Cross Stitch Tools and Embroidery Starter Kit for Adults and Kids Beginners||Check Price!|
|Top||Akacraft DIY Embroidery Kit, Cotton Cloth with Stamped Pattern, 6 inch Plastic Embroidery Hoop, Color Threads Needle Point Project, Chinese Traditional Flowers Series-Lotus||Check Price!|
|Top||Louise Maelys Embroidery Starter Kit Full Range Flower Cross Stitch Kits for Beginner Funny Hand Needlepoint Kits for Home Decor Gift||Check Price!|
|Top||Akacraft Chinese FlowersPick Series Embroidery Starter Kit, Canvas Cloth with Color Pattern, Imitated Wood Rubber Embroidery Hoop, Color Threads, and Needles (Rose)||Check Price!|
|Top||Beginners Pendant Necklace Embroidery Kit : Outgeek 3PCS Stitching Embroidery Necklace Starter Set Sewing Floral Plate Jewelry Necklace for Art Crafts Sewing and Hanging (Multicolor 1)||Check Price!|
|Top||2 Pack Embroidery Starter Kit with Pattern, Kissbuty Full Range of Stamped Embroidery Kit Including Embroidery Cloth with Pattern, Bamboo Embroidery Hoop, Color Threads and Tools Kit (Cactus Plants)||Check Price!|
|Top||ALEX Toys Craft My Embroidery Kit||Check Price!|
|Top||Embroidery kit for Beginners-Easy Stamped Starter Kits with Pattern Including Aid Cloth,Bamboo Hoop,Color Threads, and Other Tools Kit for Adults Kids||Check Price!|
1. Caydo Hand Embroidery Kit
- Full Range of Embroidery Starter Kit: 5Pcs bamboo embroidery hoops, 100 colors embroidery threads, 3pcs Aida cloth, 5pcs water-soluble pens, 1pcs pincushion, 1pcs measuring tape, 40pcs sewing pins, 1pcs line wax, 30pcs embroidery needles, 12pcs floss bobbins, 4pcs cross stitch needle-threading tool, 1pc thimble, 1pc scissor, 1pc untwist tool, an Instructions
- Practical Accessory: The water-soluble pens are suitable for marking or painting on the embroidery cloth; the line wax can prevent embroidery thread from fluffing and knotting, and improve embroidery speed
- Threads: 100 Different colors threads, each is marked with a color number, bright and lustrous, more colors for you to choose, and you can make embroidery craft easily
- Common Size: 12 by 18-inch Aida; Embroidery hoop dimensions: 6.1 inch (15.5 cm), 6.7 inch (17 cm), 7.8 inch (20 cm), 9 inch (23 cm), 10.2 inch (26 cm); Material of embroidery hoop: Made by Natural bamboo
- Precious Gift: Enjoying the DIY embroidery process, completing the work with love and give it as a gift to your family or friends, that will be a meaningful experience.If you have any quality problems with the products you received, please contact us, we will do our best to make things right for you within 24 hours
This is one of the most complete embroidery kits we’ve found today. If you are looking for a kit that is beginner-friendly but also gives you room to grow, the Caydo is a solid choice.
It comes with five hoops, three pieces of Aida cloth, one hundred different colors of threads (also known as floss), and all the other tools you need – like needles, pins, and scissors.
This kit does not include patterns, and that makes you free to research online or create your own. Don’t be intimidated by that – the kit includes water-soluble pens you will use to draw.
Additionally, Aida cloths are woven and have perfect marked squares that make symmetrical drawing a breeze.
2. Similane Embroidery Kit
- Package Content:5 x Bamboo embroidery hoops,100 x Color embroidery threads,3 x Aida cloths,40 x Sewing pins,30 x Embroidery needles,20 x Floss bobbins,5 x Water-soluble pens.
- Practical Tools：4 x Needle-threading tools，1 x Scissor,1 x Thimble,1 x Untwist tool,1 x Measuring tape,1 x Pincushion,1 x Pen holder,1 x Line wax,1 x Instructions,1 x Packing bag.
- Common Size:3 Pcs 12 by 18-inch Aida,High-quality bamboo of embroidery hoop use dimensions:5.1 inch,7 inch,7.9 inch,9 inch,10.2 inch.
- Details:The 100 color embroidery floss are perfect for friendship bracelets,childrens crafts,tassels and holiday decorations,etc. Pincushion is convenient to arrange your needles and pins.
- Its not only enhances childrens practical ability,but also stimulates childrens imagination of handcrafts.The embroidery kit could be applied for Christmas,Halloween，Thanksgiving and birthday prese
Not so different from the Caydo kit, this one is also very complete and thorough with its tools.
One hundred colored threads, five bamboo hoops, pins, needles, measuring tape, soluble pens, and more – you will find all that on this kit.
It is slightly more affordable than the previous one, so that is a good reason to go for it instead. Similarly, you can also use your imagination to create patterns, or print some from the Internet and transfer them to the fabric.
The Similane also comes with Aida fabric, so it is not smooth. If that is what you are looking for (as it makes it way easier to draw), this is another great kit to get.
3. Akacraft Embroidery Kit
- Valuable Set: full range of embroidery starter kit with all the tools you need to embroider. Perfect for beginners. If you are a totally starter to Embroidery, it will take you 6-8 hours to finish it.
- High Quality Threads: Soft and bright color cotton cross stitch threads, no fading, not easy to become fuzzing or broken. If you found the threads are not enough, you can contact us with the number of the threads to as for more floss for FREE.
- Best First Work: the beautiful pattern in Chinese traditional style is the best first piece to start sewing and embroidery. The Booklet in the kit is a great helper for teens including not only the stitches used in this pattern, but also most embroidery stitches you may need in other projects.
- Water Soluble Pattern: Easily wash, water soluble ink can easily wash off when it is finished (DO NOT touch water before finish). If you put it into a photogragh frame, it will seem like an art craft other than a handmade pattern.
- Special Present: the nice packaging kit is appropriate present for your family, your friends especially in Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year; It is meaningful and special time to spend a few hours to embroider it with your friends or your ki
Different from the previous kits, this Akacraft product provides everything you need to complete a project.
The theme is Chinese Flowers, and the kit comes with a beautiful flower pattern for you to practice. It also includes the exact thread colors needed, the right-sized needle, and even a handbook with different stitches and the step-by-step to make them.
It is a very affordable option for a guided first project, and if you like it you can order the other kits and make a collection. Lotus, Equinox, Wisteria, Plum Blossom, Geranium, and Hypericum will look great on your wall!
4. Louise Maelys Embroidery Starter Kit
- 【Pattern size】H: 5.0 inch, W: 5.0 inch, Hoop size: 5.9 inch in diameter
- 【Hand Embroidery Set】 1 Pack full range of embroidery starter kit with all the tools you need to embroider; Just with this set, you can finish a pretty embroidery.
- 【Beautiful Pattern】 There is colored pattern on the cloth, which will provide great help to starter. And the pattern can be washed off after you finish.
- 【Package Included】 1 PCS embroidery cloth with pattern, 1 PCS embroidery hoop, 1 PCS color threads, 2 PCS embroidery needles, 1 PCS instructions.
- 【Popular Gift】A fashion and beautiful gift for your family or friends,ideal for people who want to enjoy the fun of the embroide
Many of the best beginner embroidery kits come with white fabric. This makes the colored threads stand out more – it looks pretty and also makes it easier to embroider.
However, it can be quite interesting to do a pattern on dark fabric. It gives the work an edge and certainly makes it more modern. The Louise Maelys offers some choices of blue, grey, and red fabric if that sounds compelling to you.
It is also a complete kit, and the pattern comes printed in the fabric already, with the thread and tools you need. The pattern ink is washable, so you can just rinse it when you are done, and voila!
5. Akacraft Flower Kit
- Valuable Set: full range of embroidery starter kit with all the tools you need to embroider. Perfect for beginners. If you are a totally stranger to Embroidery, it will take you 6-9 hours to finish it.
- High Quality Threads: Soft and bright color cotton threads, no fading, not easy to become fuzzing or broken.
- Imitated Wood Embroidery Hoop: The Embroidery Hoops are made of high quality, flexible and durable rubber which has good resistance to pressure.Anti-skid texture and heavy duty design, make your embroidery easier.
- Water Soluble Pattern: Easily wash, water soluble ink can easily wash off when it is finished (DO NOT touch water before finish).
- Special Present: the nice packaging kit is appropriate present for your family, your friends; It is meaningful and special time to spend a few hours to embroider it with your friends or your ki
Another flower kit by Akacraft looks a lot different though. Apart from being different flowers – like Rose, Calendula, and Forget-Me-Not – the “hoops” are rectangular in shape and have a wooden look.
The fabric has a vintage style and the pattern includes the names of the flowers. Another attractive point is the type of embroidery – a gorgeous 3D design that means the flowers stick out the fabric in an amazing way.
If you want to learn 3D embroidery this kit is a great choice. It comes, of course, with all the threads and tools necessary.
6. Embroidery Pendants
- 【 Embroidery Starter Kit 】: Come with 3PCS sewing thread, bronze chains, cork bases, metal patches, embroidery cloth, plus 1PCS embroidery hoop and sewing instruction. The well-equipped embroidery accessories are meet with your demands.
- 【Wide Application】: Embroidery starter set could be applied to necklace and earrings. Making your own embroidery pendants for birthday, Christmas, Thanksgiving, party gifts for your family, friends and colleagues, which is a really meaningful and special presents.
- 【Pattern Design】: It has 3 different sewing patterns and Embroidery techniques. Embroidery techniques such as French Knot, Straight Stitch and Rose Embroidery Stitch.
- 【Material】: These accessories were made of metal,cloth and thread, which non-toxic, easily storage, and won’t color fading and rusting.
- 【Notice】: The finished embroidery fabric need to wash. The colorful pattern and grid lines printed on the cross stitch fabric are very easy to wash off after you finish the embroidery work. Since it uses water soluble printing dye, please do not get it wet before you finish
This is a fun and charming beginner project to tackle. Embroidery pendants! The kit comes with three different bronze pendants, printed patterns, three needles, a small hoop, and long metal chains.
The thread is separated by projects and the instructions are incredibly easy to follow. Since it is such a small embroidery, it gives you a sense of accomplishment in only a day, and it makes for great gifts.
You can use them as necklaces or hang them in purses, earrings, or wallets.
The instructions are clear, and beginner users have been extremely happy with this kit. If you want something small to get started – look no further than this pendant kit.
7. Kissbutty Starter Pack with two Patterns
- Valuable Hand Embroidery Set: 2 Pack full range of embroidery starter kit with all the tools you need to embroider; Just with this set, you can finish a pretty embroidery.
- Package Content: 2pcs bamboo embroidery hoops, 2pcs white cotton classic reserve aida with pattern on it,color Threads,embroidery needles, instructions.
- Per-design Plants Partten: There is partten on the cloth, which will provide great help to starter. And the pattern can be washed off after you finish.
- Easy Operation : The embroidery hoops have a brass adjustment screw that you can tighten when necessary to keep the fabric as tight as a drum
- Popular Needlepoint Kit Gift: A nice package and appropriate gift for your family, your friends; Finished DIY embroidery with your friedns or your kids is really a meaningful and special pres
The neat thing about this embroidery kit is the cool pattern choice. If you are looking for something more modern and younger than the traditional floral patterns, this kit may be the one for you.
It is also a great value kit since it comes with two hoops, two pieces of fabric with patterns, and all the thread you need for both projects. With these, you can decorate your home with gorgeous cactuses and hanging plant embroideries, completed with alluring pastel colors.
It is a relaxing activity for beginners and the needles can be reused for future projects.
8. ALEX Toys Craft My Embroidery Kit
- Learn 12 easy stitches
- Colorful keepsake tin storage box
- Dr Toy 2013 Best Picks Parents Choice Approved Award winner
- Includes beads, 15 buttons, 10 colors of embroidery thread, 75 embroidery essentials and a headband project
- Recommended for children 7 years of age and ol
If the beginner embroiderer in your life is a child, the Alex Toys Kit is perfect.
Kids love crafts, and the whole kit is very appealing. A metal tin with a transparent lid showcases all the colorful materials, and the kit includes all the tools necessary.
Embroidery threads, beads, scissors, needles, buttons compose the seventy-five items on the case. The best part is that it comes with a booklet with very precise instructions for twelve easy stitches, and a headband project.
This is a fantastic gift for children over seven years old, and an incentive to their creativity.
9. Goodnight Series Needlepoint Kits
- Package: 1pc 4 inch (10 cm) bamboo embroidery hoop, color threads, 1pc aid embroidery fabric with pattern on it, embroidery needles, 1pc instructions 9pc scissors.
- Easy Flower Pattern: There is a easy pre-design flowers pattern on the cloth, which is perfect for embroidery starter (Interested in embroidery or no foundation).
- Easy to wash: This kit comes with everything you need to finish the embroidery work.Water soluble ink which easily washes off when you are done stitching your design.Note:Don’t touch water before finishing.
- Easy Operation: The bamboo embroidery hoop has a screw that you can adjust the tightness you want when necessary. It also can be used as a frame to place the finished embroidery to decorate your room.
- Popular Gift: It is a nice gift for you, your families and friends. First of all, during the embroidery you must put a lot of effort into it. Then when you give them the embroidery work as a gift,your families and friends will feel your sinceri
Another innovative embroidery kit, this one allows you to create a nighttime scene on a dark blue fabric.
It is a cute design perfect for those trying to explore embroidering on dark fabric and would make a great nursery decoration item.
The supplies are all included – enough thread, well-sized needles, a bamboo hoop, and clear instructions. It is also incredibly affordable, making it a good choice if you don’t want to invest too much in a new hobby before being sure you love it.
An advantage of this kit is that the hoop is of good quality and made from bamboo as advertised – a rarity with kits on this price point.
Best Beginner Embroidery Kit Buying Guide
The best beginner embroidery kits will come with all the components you need for a full project. The basic components are a hoop, an embroidery needle, a piece of fabric with a pattern, enough threads for the project, a color guide (to match the threads to the pattern parts), and instructions.
Some kits even offer extra elements, like scissors and measuring great tape.
Make sure you choose a kit with a pattern you actually like. It is unlikely that you will finish a project if you don’t find it beautiful!
Smaller patterns with contoured drawings are easier to follow than filled pictures, so keep that in mind.
If you want to create your own pattern, that is possible too! Pick a kit with special water-soluble pens, and trace or draw a picture you love.
A pencil could work too, but they most likely will leave some marks after you wash the fabric, so specialized pens are better.
Machine or hand
Embroidery can be done by hand or on a sewing machine, and in this article, we covered handmade embroidery. It is the most popular type with beginners and a very satisfying hobby.
Make sure the kit contains English instructions and a step-by-step tutorial on the pattern.
A beginner kit should be clear about how to complete each stitch as well, and not only which stitches to complete. Another important thing is the color guide – the key to matching the correct threads to each part of the picture.
Embroidery Kit FAQ
What is the best fabric for embroidery?
Most embroidery kits for beginners include Aida fabric – a tightly woven even-weave fabric that, as result, has raised up and very clear squares.
That makes it easier to stitch since you can follow the fabric pattern to keep a straight line. In theory, you can embroidery in any fabric with the proper amount of skills.
What is the difference between cross stitch and embroidery?
Cross stitch is actually a type of embroidery. It uses x shapes stitches only, and for that reason, it looks “boxier” than embroidery, and less delicate.
Can you embroider without a hoop?
The hoop keeps the fabric stretched and with enough tension to allow for even stitching. It is possible to embroider without a hoop, but it will be harder.
Can you use a regular needle for embroidery?
We don’t recommend using regular sewing needles for embroidery. Embroidery needles have sharp points and slightly elongated eyes, that allow them to pierce through the fabric better and not fray or break the thread.
Their eyes also make it much easier to thread embroidery floss through them, which would not be possible with a sewing needle.
How to prepare embroidery floss?
Interestingly, most embroidery threads come in a bundle that looks like one strand, but it isn’t. One strand should be separated into (usually) six finer strands, and that will make a big difference in your work.
To do that, simply grab the thread between two fingers and rub it – you’ll see the thinner threads right away!