Last Updated on January 10, 2023
Do you need a magnifying glass for embroidery work? Here are our top picks for the best embroidery magnifying glasses.
When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Embroidery is a beautiful, intricate work. The most delicate and beautiful ones require quite a lot of patience and an abundance of attention.
One of the best things to do if you enjoy needlework is to take care of your eyes. Detail work can be hard for everyone, from people who have aging eyes to those who are far-sighted.
Sometimes it is just more comfortable to see your stitches clearly, even if technically you don’t need to enhance them. That’s where the best magnifying glass for embroidery enters!
Choosing the right one is not hard, but there are some things to consider. The power of magnification you need, the size and shape, and even the color temperature of the lamp bulb.
A good magnifying glass will allow you to see your work through clear crystal lenses, enhanced and with no color changes. To make your life easier, we selected nine of the best options on the market today.
The 9 Best Magnifying Glasses for Embroidery
|Top||Brightech LightView Pro 2 in 1 XL Magnifying Floor Lamp - Very Bright LED Light with Full Page Magnifier Glass for Pro Tasks, Reading, Crafts & Hobbies - Converts from Standing to Table Lamp||Check Price!|
|Top||Brightech LightView Pro Magnifying Lamp & Table Clamp - Max Comfort - Pro Work Like Lash Extensions & Crafts - Durable Glass Magnifier with Bright LED Light - Dimmable & Adjustable Light Color||Check Price!|
|Top||Brightech LightView Pro Flex 2 in 1: 2.25x Magnifier with Bright LED Light - Magnifying Glass Lamp with Base Stand & Clamp - for Reading, Painting, Sewing & Needle Crafts, Puzzle & Hobby Fans||Check Price!|
|Top||Hands-Free Magnifying Glass Large Full-Page Rectangular 3X Magnifier LED Lighted Illuminated Foldable Desktop Portable for Elder||Check Price!|
|Top||Hands Free Headband Magnifying Glass, USB Charging Head Magnifier with LED Light Jewelry Craft Watch Hobby 5 Lenses 1.0X 1.5X 2.0X 2.5X 3.5X (Upgraded Version)||Check Price!|
|Top||EasyLifeCare Hands Free Chest Rest LED Magnifier - Neck Wear Visual Aid Illuminated Magnifying Glass for Low Vision & Visually Impaired Seniors - Portable||Check Price!|
|Top||Folding Magnifying Glass with Light and Stand Led Portable Magnified Glass Hands-Free Desk Magnifier Lamp 5X 11X for Reading,Sewing,USB/Battery Power Supply (White)||Check Price!|
|Top||MagniPros Jumbo Size Magnifying Glass Wide Horizontal Lens(3X Magnification)- Shockproof Housing & Scratch Resistant Design W/Large Viewing Area Ideal for Reading Small Prints & Low Vision||Check Price!|
|Top||Carson Clip and Flip 2x Power Magnifying Lens +4.00 Diopters (OD-14)||Check Price!|
1. Brightech Lightview Pro LED
- MAXIMIZE YOUR COMFORT BY SEEING MORE AT ONCE WITH A FULL PAGE LENS, HELD IN PLACE BY POWERFUL ARMS THAT FREE UP YOUR HANDS - This LightView Pro features an XL lens - 6” wide by 4.5” long - so you can see more at once, e.g. a whole page in your book. Its got 225% magnification strength aka 2.25x. The sturdy arms keep the head in position so you a) dont get tired holding the magnifier lens, b) can use both hands and c) avoid uncomfortable mag glasses strapped to your head.
- SEE TINY THINGS & FINE COLOR DIFFERENCES WITH HIGH CONTRAST, HIGH BRIGHTNESS LED LIGHT (DIMMER BUILT IN) - The light color is 5,000 Kelvin, cool white. This high contrast hue shows colors - great for sewing and crafts, puzzles - as well as details and fine print with daylight accuracy, great for reading pill bottles, working on small crafts etc. The LEDs produce an extremely bright 900 lumens, which at close up focus is seen as even more. Get the right light level with the built in dimmer.
- STAND UP OR TABLE LAMP – FLEXIBILITY & MOBILITY FOR SPAS, MEDICAL CLINICS, TATTOO PARLORS: Esthetician doing a facial or eyelash extensions? Use as a standing lamp. Max height: 47 tall. Need to use on a table? Just take apart the leg and base, attaching the arm to the slightly arched metal base that easily rests on a desk or work bench. To convert to a floor lamp, simply reinsert the included pole.
- AVOID REPLACEMENT HASSLES - MAX DURABILITY THANKS TO GENUINE DIOPTER GLASS & 100,000 HOUR LIFE LEDS - The lens is made of genuine diopter glass - scratch and heat resistant, unlike cheap acrylic lenses. The 9W, 900 lumen LEDs are rated to last 100,000 hours - you can use it 8 hours every single day for 34 years straight.
- BRIGHTECHS 3 YEAR PRODUCT WARRANTY: We proudly stand behind all of our products 100% and offer a full 3 year warranty. This will cover if the product stops working within 3 years or if there are any defects within those 3 years.
This is not the only Brightech product on our list, and there is a reason for that. They make really good lamps and quality magnifying glasses, used by hobbyists and professionals alike.
The lenses are made from good diopter glass and are wide enough to see an entire book page, they don’t scratch or break, and have a magnifying rate of a whopping 2.25%. The stand is heavy and sturdy, and the arms are highly adjustable and stay in place.
The lamp emits a cool white light of 5000 kelvin, but you can dim it and control it to your desires. This is not the cheapest of glasses around, but definitely a strong contestant for the best magnifying glass for embroidery.
2. Brightech LightView PRO for Desks
- BEST LED MAGNIFIER LAMP FOR READING & CLOSE WORK. COMFORTABLE, UNLIKE MAGNIFYING GLASSES / HEADSETS: Enjoy newspapers and books even with vision problems such as ageing eyes or macular degeneration. The 3 lens magnifies up to 225% (2.25X), with things in focus 8 away. Avoid strapping painful headsets or heavy, uncomfortable and awkward magnifying glasses, when at your work bench / table.
- THE RIGHT LIGHT FOR PUZZLE MAKING, SEWING & OTHER CRAFTS - CLAMP FOR DESK / WORKBENCH & GOOSENECK STYLE SWING ARMS SET & KEEP MAGNAFYING HEAD IN PLACE - The cool white light (adjustable to warm white) helps your eye see minor contrast plus tiny stitches / count threads like in natural daylight, improving needlework crafts and easing puzzle making. Plus free your hands from holding the lens so you enjoy arts & hobbies such as knitting, cross stitch, quilting & painting etc.
- MAG LAMP FOR ESTHETICIANS MICROBLADING, DOING FACIALS & EYELASH EXTENSIONS - WITH DIMMING & LIGHT COLOR ADJUSTMENT - Spas & salons, makeup artists and beauticians: do you need to work close up, precisely to make your clients look beautiful? It couldnt be any easier to shape an eye brow just right when you can see it brighter and magnified. Need the light a bit dimmer? Theres a built in dimmer. Plus adjust between cool white light for precise work or warm white for general work.
- AVOID REPLACEMENT HASSLES - REAL DIOPTER GLASS & 20 YEAR LIFE LED LIGHTS FOR MAX DURABILITY - The genuine diopter glass means the lens doesnt warp with time or heat, and is also scratch resistant. So it lasts longer than cheap acrylic/plastic lenses that warp in heat and scratch easily, causing replacement hassles in little time. The 9W & 650 lumen LED lights are built in and last 20,000 hours - about 20 years of use for 3 hours/day !
- BRIGHTECHS 3 YEAR PRODUCT WARRANTY: We proudly stand behind all of our products 100% and offer a full 3 year warranty. This will cover if the product stops working within 3 years or if there are any defects within those 3 yea
Another Brightech option, the difference between the previous glass and this one is the fact that this is a desk lamp only.
While the previous product can be used as a floor and desk magnifying glass, this only works on surfaces where you can clamp it. On a positive note, the price reflects that, so you can enjoy the perks of a fantastic 2.25% lens on a much more accessible price point.
Another amazing feature is the adjustable color and brightness – you can choose from a cool to a warm white and everything in between. This is especially useful when working on different colored embroidery projects.
All Brightech products come with a 3-year warranty, and customers are quite happy with the support received.
3. Brightech LightView Pro Flex Magnifying Glass
- CLARITY & QUALITY: GENUINE GLASS MAGNIFIER THAT MAGNIFIES 225%.: Review: The magnafine glass is so much clearer than what I was using and it feels very heavy duty. Thats because the 3 lens is made of genuine diopter glass, unlike cheap lenses made of plastic/acrylic that fog up. Things are in focus about 8 away.
- BEST FOR COMFORT: GET THE LENS & LIGHT WHERE YOU NEED, WORK HANDS FREE, AVOID UNCOMFORTABLE MAG GLASSES - The Brightech LightView Pro Flex 2 in 1 has a 13.5 adjustable, flexible gooseneck, so you can point the glass and light where you want and free both your hands. The heavy base or strong clamp ensure the light doesnt tip so you can enjoy comfort with close work. Review: Solid and heavy, this base is more than enough to keep the lamp stable in any position it is set to.
- LOVED BY CRAFTERS & HOBBYISTS: Reviewers have used it for painting, sewing, jewelry making, jigsaw puzzles, cross stitch, repairing electronics etc. Heres what they say: Perfect for threading needles with ease. Lights allow me to see true colors. (Thats thanks to 6000K daylight-color cool white light - not yellow light.) A life saver when stitches have dropped. Enough room under the glass to solder. A true helper for older eyes and very small electronics. Read the reviews!
- 20 YEAR LIFE BRIGHT LED LIGHTS & REAL DIOPTER GLASS FOR MAX DURABILITY - The 6W & 570 lumen LED lights are built in and last 20,000 hours - about 20 years if you use the Brightech Lightview Pro 3 hours every single day! The genuine diopter glass means the lens doesnt warp with time or heat, and is also scratch resistant. So it lasts longer than cheap acrylic/plastic lenses that warp in heat and scratch easily, requiring replacements in little time.
- BRIGHTECHS 3 YEAR PRODUCT WARRANTY: We proudly stand behind all of our products 100% and offer a full 3 year warranty. This will cover if the product stops working within 3 years or if there are any defects within those 3 yea
A great middle point between budget and premium magnifying glasses, this desk lamp also offers a 2.25% enlarging power.
The lenses are top quality and the gooseneck is adjustable, although not as steady as the previous two models. That is because it is lightweight and smaller – which can be a positive if you are looking for something that is war more portable and discreet.
You can regulate the height anywhere from 6 to 16 inches, and clamp the glass onto desks or tables that are up to 2.5 inches thick. The LED light is powerful (6000 Kelvin), although not dimmable – so be aware of that.
4. Magnifying Glass Hands-Free Large Rectangular
- ★3X MAGNIFICATION - PLASTIC MATERIAL: The lens is PVC material, fresnel lens, not glass，Please BUY with caution. The foldable portable magnifying glass is up to 3X magnification, ensuring your clarity and detail, perfect for reading books/ documents/ newspapers /instructions.
- ★GET A 12 LED MAGNIFYING GLASS: you get a powerful LED magnifying glass with two different power modes, and LED lights for illumination in dark places.
- ★PROVIDE MULTIPLE WAYS TO READ: Our rectangular magnifying glass can be hung on the neck and also flip the four corners to stand on the file to use provide a free experience. If you dont want to do this, it can also be held in your hand.
- ★EASY TO READ: Our full-page magnifier offers a larger reading area, allowing you to read the entire page, reducing the hassle of moving multiple times while reading.
- ★DUAL POWER BY USB AND BATTERY: This magnifying glass is different from other magnifiers in that it can be used in both battery and USB modes. And you can adjust the brightness of the LED lights to protect your eyes in the dark.The power cord Should always be plugged in to turn on the light. If there is a loose condition, please insert it tight
The selling point of this magnifying glass is its incredible portability. As the name says, this is a rectangular glass that can be used in different ways.
The first is a standing glass with foldable legs – it looks like a mini transparent table that goes over your work. Or as a necklace with a string – a questionable fashion accessory but very useful to carry around.
The lenses are made of strong PVC material and have a 3x magnifying power. LED lights around the border complete this inexpensive set that can be powered by batteries or a USB port.
5. Hands-Free Headband Magnifying Glass
- ★Efficient Rechargeable Batteries: Say goodbye to heavy glasses magnifying glasses! Head Magnifier with the board stores electricity instead of the traditional batteries, making the magnifying glass lighter and giving you a more comfortable trial experience.
- ★Convenient USB Charging Interface: No need to replace the battery, just fill it up in an hour! USB charging interface is more convenient and environmental. You can be directly powered through USB interface. One-hour charging time provides up to 8 hours of working time for rechargeable batteries.
- ★5 Different Magnification Lens for Close Work: Headband magnifier glasses provides five magnification 1X, 1.5X, 2X, 2.5X, 3.5X. The size of the object can be observed to choose the required lens such as sewing, needle work, knitting, cross stitch, embroidery, etc. All lens come in a sturdy storage box to keep them organized and protected. There is also a microfiber cleaning cloth included in the package.
- ★Flexible & Comfortable Nose Bridge Holder: Protect your nose! Efficient rechargeable batteries and nose bracket with soft rubber coating can greatly lighten the load on the bridge of the nose. Putting your nose in a more relaxed working position!
- ★Adjustable LED Glass Lamp: The led light provides sufficient brightness in any dark or dim environment, which enable you to see small things better at night. You can easily turn on or off the light via a switch. Both the lens angle and the lightning angle can be positioned to ensures that the light irradiates the surface of the viewed object accurate
This is the best magnifying glass for embroidery to have if you want to make sure the glass is pointing to your work.
That is because you attach it to your head like a head torch, and have it in front of your eyes like glasses the whole time.
You can choose the magnifying power to best suit your current needs, from 1X, 1.5X, 2X, 2.5X, to 3.5X, by attaching different lenses. This is a great product for those who move around a lot while working, and it can be used on a sofa, bed, or anywhere since it does not need to stand.
On top of that, it also has a LED light that can be switched on or off, so you can work on your embroidery in the dark while your partner sleeps.
6. EasyLifeCare Hands-Free Magnifying Glass
- Great Magnification Effect: Main lens diameter 4.5inch large field of view. Optical grade high quality 4x auxiliary & 2.5x primary magnifying zoom, crystal clear and sharp image. Ideal for Reading Small Prints & Low Vision with Aging Eyes
- ★ High Brightness LED Bulb: 2 white led lights provide the best illumination with the most cost savings and long economical life. (Two cr2016 lithium button cell batteries included) The LED Lights provide good Illumination to ensure the night clear view
- ★ Hands-Free LED Magnifier: With a neck lanyard, chest support brace with soft-padded feet, bi-focal spot lens, lightbox, you can hang it on the neck with the magnifier before the chest for hands-free reading. Ideal for long reading time or embroidery
- ★ Multi-Purpose: An anti-reflective high-quality lens provides super clear and even-toned visuals with no color distortions or light leaks. Great for reading books, embroidery, watch the video, iPad read, crafts magnifier, inspection, magazines, newspapers, model building, jewelry design, needlepoint, sewing, antiques & miniature engraving etc
- ★ EasyLifeCare Guarantees: If there are any quality issues with our magnifier, please feel free to contact us. We offer a 30 days free item back and 24 months seller guaran
The EasyLifeCare magnifying glass is a great, traditional option if you are looking for a small product to always have in hand.
It is a modest round one, and it can be used with a stand or on your chest like a necklace. It amplifies things by 2.5% and it comes with two inbuilt LED lights.
It is made with readers and embroiderers in mind, as many people prefer to do this craft on sofas or beds. To have a small magnifying glass with a chest support brace readily available is a huge help with those intricate patterns.
The lenses are well-made and have an anti-glare feature that helps to keep the colors as visible and bright as the original.
7. Folding Magnifying Glass
- 【Desktop and Handheld Magnifier】- Can be used as a desktop magnifier by stretching its holder to stand on the desk to leave your hands free in work. It also can be folded to serve as a hand-held magnifier to realize wider application range.
- 【Portable and Easy to use】 - The folding design allows to adjust to different angles freely and provide precise illumination on your needs. A very space-saving handy tool when folded. No need to frequently use fastening bolts during adjustment.
- 【Dual Power Supplies By Battery / USB 】- Designed with dual-circuit, the magnifying glass can be lighted on different occasions : powered by the USB cable included with power bank,computer and wall plug, OR by 3 AAA batteries (NOT INCLUDED). Note: Not Rechargeable.
- 【2-level Brightness Adjustment】 - Magnifier adopts 8pcs annular LEDs luminous diodes to ensure strong brightness, wide and even irradiation range. You can switch the brightness according to lighting conditions. Make working environment more comfortable, improve work efficiency, protect eyesight effectively and avoid visual fatigue.
- 【Practical Magnifying Glass】-Designed with 2 Lenses of 5x ( L, 2.95) and 11x ( S, 0.75). It can be used for daily reading or viewing tiny objects, electronic maintenance, antique, appreciation,science education and so
This foldable product is very versatile. It comes with two different lenses, and you can choose the powers according to your needs. It is also possible to combine the lenses, which gives you even more options!
It is hand-held when folded but hands-free when opened – just stand it on any surface and point it to your embroidery. The LED light is strong and powered by either a USB cable or three AA batteries.
Unlike most of the other small, portable magnifying glasses, this one allows you to adjust the brightness of the light, a definite plus in our book.
8. MagniPros Jumbo Size Magnifying Glass
- ★ RECTANGULAR SHAPE & LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN: The magnifier itself only weight 5 ounces , therefore, it is ideal for longer reading time, it weights only half compare with other reading magnifiers.Rectangular magnifying glasses are superior to round magnifier, it provides the optimal, most natural shape for reading text without having your hands move all the time. The larger field of viewing lets you read a full line from left to right.
- ★ HIGH QUALITY 3X OPTICAL GRADE MAGNIFYING LENS: The main lens is measured 4.35 x 2.5 and magnifies up to 3x(300%), due to its LARGE size you dont need to reposition it all the time to find the best spot. The distortion free 3X power lens that makes it perfect for Various tasks making reading/viewing small prints, Map, Newspaper, Magazine a breeze.
- ★ LARGE SHATTERPROOF/RESISTANT ACRYLIC LENS: The lens is made out of optical grade acrylic which is lighter and more shatter-resistant than glass while provides the same clarity level, the combination of acrylic lens and frame are designed to withstand accidental dropping on the floor, while the lens of other magnifying glasses would be shattered.
- ★ SHOCKPROOF & SCRATCH RESISTANT DESIGN- There are two shockproof design housing on both sides of magnifying lens to prevent it from shattered and scratch on surface, you can lay magnifier on flat on table and wont even cause a single scratch!
- ★ RISK-FREE REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE- If you are unhappy or dissatisfy about the product in any way, please let us know, we will make things right for you the first ti
This is a very simple product, but that does not mean it’s not useful. It is a big, square magnifying glass with acrylic lenses that enlarge your work by 3 times.
It does not have a light, but if you only do embroidery during the day and want a light and straightforward product – this is the one for you.
The acrylic lenses and the shock prove frame make this quite a resistant product, so if you are prone to dropping things it will give you peace of mind.
The side handle also makes it more comfortable to hold and use, and the big size is great for big embroidery projects.
9. Carson Clip and Flip
- Clip-on, Flip-up, Magnifying Lenses (clips on to your regular glasses)
- Flips up out of the way; Flips down to become a hands-free magnifier
- Great for Fly-tying or any other Hands-free magnifying use
- Perfect magnifying lenses for crafts, hobby, reading, model building, jewelry design and other low vision tasks | Protective pouch included
- 2x power equivalent to +4.00 diopt
Do you wear glasses? Have you ever wished they could magnify as well as improve your vision? Well, there is a solution for that!
The Carson Clip and Flip magnifying glass easily clips to your glasses and gives your eyes a much-needed rest.
Embroidery is a fine work that requires attention and focus, and with this product, you can forget you are even using a magnifying glass.
Users are happy with the quality of the lenses, and the image is clear enough with no color distortion. When you are purchasing, you can choose the best power for you – 1.5,1.75, or 2.0.
They are the best magnifying glasses if you are looking for portability and already wear glasses.
Best Magnifying Glass for Embroidery Buying Guide
This is a must feature for most crafters. Think carefully about how you do embroidery more comfortably, and then buy a magnifying glass that fits your needs.
If you do it at the table, consider a table glass. Feel better on the sofa? Purchase a headband glass or one that hangs on your chest.
The diopter defines how much the glass magnifies the object. All glasses will have that information on the specifications, and it is the most important one to consider.
Interestingly, you don’t want to amplify stitches too much, look for something with power between 1.75 and 3 times. We find that to be around the perfect amount for fabric-based crafts – much more than that and the fabric looks warped and distorted.
Furthermore, the stronger the power, the closer your eyes and the embroidery need to be to the loupe – which is far from comfortable.
The vast majority of magnifying glasses come with a light attached to them.
That makes sense, but be careful with warm-colored lamps with weak lights – they can change the way you see the color of the thread and jeopardize your work. LED white lights are ideal, with at least 5000 Kelvin.
How adjustable the glass is? Does it have a goosing neck you can move close to your work? Legs that work in different positions? Consider how versatile (or not) the glass needs to be for you.
Lens size and shape
Consider the size and shape of the lenses, especially if you are used to working on bigger projects. If you want the glass to cover the entire work, consider purchasing a square one.
If you only need it for occasional use to check on small stitches, a round, portable one may be better.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the highest magnification?
Microscopes can enhance something by even 1500 times, but the regular glasses for house use usually go up to 70x. As we mentioned before, you really only need 3x for embroidery work.
What do magnification numbers mean?
To make it easy to understand, most products will showcase the magnifying power of the lenses, for example, 2.5% or 2.5x. That means the image will be 2.5 times bigger than the reality.
If you see the Diopter number, that refers to the curvature of the lens – the more curve a lens is the more powerful it is too. Take the Diopter number, divide by 4 and add 1 to get the power.
For instance, a magnifying glass with a Diopter 8 has a power of 3x (8/4 = 2, +1 = 3).
How do magnifying glasses work?
A magnifying glass is made of one convex (curved) lens that bends the light rays, making them converge when coming to our eyes. It is a trick of light that makes the retina see something larger than it is.
Why is the image upside down on?
The converging point of the light is called the focal point. This is the primal distance between the glass and the object you want to enlarge. Moving the magnifying glass too far away from the object will get it past the focal point, and the object’s image will flip upside down.
Don’t worry – this only happens with arms reach distance with much more powerful lenses.