“Singer”- the name itself says a lot. It is a brand that has been well known for sewing machines all over the world throughout history. They provide the most reliable and robust machines. The singer 4423 model is no different. It’s a heavy duty sewing machine designed for heavy weight fabric like denim canvas etc. Due to the powerful motor used in the machine, it gives you speed like no other. This could definitely save you a lot of time and effort. In addition, it makes quilting very easy.
Singer 4423 Review In Depth
The singer 4423 has lots of features that make it as good as a lightweight highly featured sewing machine. The key features are –
1. 23 built in stitches
Singer 4423 has 23 built in stitches including a buttonhole. The stitches are ^ basic stitches, 8 stretch stitches, 12 décor stitches and 1 button hole. This wide range of stitches allows you to try out different stitches in making decorations or sewing dresses.
2. High speed
As the company claims, this machine can do about 1100 stitches per minute. This is actually the fastest speed a sewing machine can have. So, the speed this model offers is going to save you a lot of time.
3. Automatic Needle threader
The needle threader is an important addition to this machine. It prevents the straining of your eyes and saves you the trouble of threading your needle.
4. Top Drop in bobbin
Top drop in bobbin gives you the great advantage of seeing where you are loading the bobbin. Unlike the old mechanical ones, where the bobbin goes underneath the machine body and loading the bobbin was a difficult process, singer 4423 gives you the best advantage.
5. Adjustable stitch length and width
With the singer 4423 you can change the length and width of the stitch. It has the largest width is 6mm with 0 to 6 settings. The length ranges from .5mm to 4 mm with 4 settings. This wide range of adjustable length and width gives you the freedom to be creative. You can choose whatever the adjustments you like to create different designs.
6. 60% stronger motor
Singer claims to make this model with a 60% stronger motor. This is why it can sew through any type of fabric; even up to multiple layers.
7. Snap-on Presser Foot
You can easily change the presser feet pressure, Also you can on or off or change the position of your presser feet in a snap.
8. Free Arm
What free arm does is that it lets you remove a part of your machine to make it a free arm. This is extra helpful when you are sewing small opening like when you are hemming cuffs or sleeves of a clothing. It allows you to reach the hard reach areas with ease.
9. Three needle positions
As a heavy duty machine, it has three different needle positions to change for different types of sewing works. It can be changed for inserting zippers or cording or top stitching.
10. Extra high presser foot lifter
You can lift up your presser foot for more layers of fabric no matter how bulkier they are.
11. Heavy duty metal frame with stainless steel bed plate
Metal body gives the machine the sturdiness it requires for heavy duty sewing. Stainless steel bed plate allows fabric to slide with ease.
12. Onboard storage
It has removable sewing bed for an easy access to all your sewing products.
13. Automatic reverse stitch
It also allows reverse stitching meaning backward stitches. It will help you secure your stitches.
14. Added accessories
The machine comes with accessories including all purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam reaper, quilting guide, needles bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, soft sided dust cover.
What We Like Most (Pros)
The most likable features of singer 4423 are:
- Its heavy duty metal frame makes it sturdy and holds all the mechanism in perfect alignment giving you skip free stitches and durability.
- It comes with a manual. So, basically, you can do anything if you read it carefully.
- It works great with thick and stiff vinyl to silky satin to stretchy lycra even leather of multiple layers if you have the right needle for it.
- Does not skip any stitches.
- Adjustable presser foot lets you work with any type of fabric you want
- It is quite cheap for the features it provides.
- It’s not noisy at all.
What Users Claiming (cons)
A few downsides were found in the machine
- The defective warranty is only 90 days
- The users have claimed that the machine gets jammed up quite often.
- It does not have the decorative or extra stretch stitches that you would have with other machines.
- This manual machine does not allow you to stop automatically. So you have to be very careful while sewing buttonhole.
- It does not provide a good scalloped stitch.
- It does not work very well with felt. Sometimes users claim that it does not work well with multiple layers of leather.
Singer 4423 is a powerful machine. Its rigid main frame makes it perfect for heavy duty works. It is suitable for both beginners and professionals. Although the speed it provides is not very necessary for amateur users as they don’t need too much speed. But for a professional sewist, this can save a lot of time. For heavyweight to lightweight fabric, it can sew through anything making it a versatile sewing machine. You can try out different clothing or decorative pieces and get very crafty. It does all the heavy weight works but not a little bit noisy. It is not heavy either and allows you to carry it anywhere you like. It is a great sewing machine at a very reasonable price.