Last Updated on January 10, 2023
Are you looking for a sewing machine for quilting that’s under $500? Here are our top picks!
When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quilting is a fun hobby that produces beautiful pieces. It is not uncommon for quilts to be passed on from generation to generation, and to be cherished by family members for years.
If you want to start quilting or if you have been quilting for years and are looking for a new quilting machine, we have your back. Even though it is possible to quilt on a regular sewing machine (quilting machines are nothing more than sewing machines in the end) several features make it much easier and enjoyable to do so.
The most obvious is the bigger workspace – quilts use heavy fabrics and a lot of material. An ample throat is also essential, and an extension table highly recommended.
We know everyone would love to stay on a budget, so we will focus on the best sewing machines for quilting under $500. Believe us, there are plenty!
Best Sewing Machine for Quilting Under $500
|Top||SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine with 600-Stitches, Electronic Auto Pilot Mode, Extension Table and Bonus Accessories, Perfect for Customizing Projects||Check Price!|
|Top||Brother PQ1500SL Sewing and Quilting Machine, Up to 1,500 Stitches Per Minute, Wide Table, 7 Included Feet||Check Price!|
|Top||Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, CS6000i, 60 Built-in Stitches, 2.0" LCD Display, Wide Table, 9 Included Sewing Feet||Check Price!|
|Top||Janome HD3000 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine with 18 Built-in Stitches + Hard Case||Check Price!|
1. SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams Has a large selection of stitches including basic, stretch and decorative stitches for fashion sewing, quilting, home decor and crafting There’s even a selection of fonts to personalize projects
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle’s eye, in seconds The built-in needle threader threads the eye of the needle for you, eliminating eye strain and frustration
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has 600 Built-In Stitches including 5 Alphanumeric Fonts and 13 built-in 1-Step Buttonholes with Exclusive Buttonhole Underplate It also has Mirror Imaging and Stitch Elongation providing even more creative possibilities
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches-per-minute, projects can be sewn quickly
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of presser feet are included with the sewing machine: All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Underplate, Button Sewing Foot, Blind Hem Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, Open Toe Foot, Overcasting Foot, Darning and Embroidery Foot, Rolled Hem Foot, Cording Foot, Straight Stitch/Quilting Foot, Even Feed / Walking Foot 110 volt machine designed for United States and Canadian use only
The Singer Quantum Stylist is one of the best quilting machines in this price range, and that is due to its throat and table size. The included extension table provides a wide working space that no other can match.
It allows you to work with layers, big pieces of fabric and it gives you space to do so. It stitches eight hundred and fifty stitches per minute, it is not the fastest in the market but it is good for home use.
The faster a sewing machine is, the more the motor rattles, and that is one of the reasons they are built with a metal heavy frame.
Another great aspect is the sheer number of feet that this machine comes with, which will help you tremendously in completing quilting projects.
One that you need to try and use is the open toe foot – it increases the visibility of the stitches, you can see and guide your work much better. The Singer 9960 also has a large collection of built-in stitches, six hundred to be exact.
Although quilting usually requires regular stitches, using decorative ones may just be the step up you want. It is a beautiful idea and will take your quilts to the next level.
2. Brother Quilting Machine
- 1,500 Stitches per minute max sewing speed: Maximum stitching of up to 1,500 stitches per minute allows you to sew and quilt more in less time
- Advanced needle threading system: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Included accessories: The PQ1500SL longarm sewing and quilting machine comes with a wide table, 7 sewing feet, knee-lifter, instruction manual and more. The removable knee-lifter enables you to lift your presser foot with your knee, leaving both hands free for fabric handling
- Precision pin feeding system: Its so easy to sew a wide variety of fabric thicknesses thanks to Brothers Pin Feed system for precision fabric feeding
- At your side support: The PQ1500SL quilting and sewing machine comes with Brother at your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
This fantastic sewing and quilting machine is one of our top choices since, as always, Brother delivers on quality and built. As a quilter, you know how important it is to have a fast machine, and this one reaches up to one thousand and five hundred stitches per minute!
It also comes with a very wide table, measuring 8.6″ in width, ideal for quilting. There is a feed dog adjuster feature that is designed to help sewing different types of fabric, such as velvet.
Many quilters like to mix and match textiles, so a feeder dog combined with a presser foot can make a big difference. This is one of the Brother models that use the F.A.S.T. technology, an advanced needle threading system that makes threading completely out of your mind.
You can program the needle to stop in the up or down position, depending on your needs. It does make it easier to rotate fabrics when the needle is lowered, however!
3. Brother Quilting Machine CS6000i
- 60 Unique built-in stitches: The Brother CS6000i includes 60 built-in sewing stitches, including decorative stitches and 7 styles of auto-size buttonholes
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Included accessories: The CS6000i includes a hard protective case, wide table, 10 sewing feet, needle set including twin needle, 3 bobbins and more
- LCD Screen: Easily select your stitches with the touch of a button and view your selections on the LCD display
- 25 Year limited warranty: The CS6000i is backed by a 25 year limited warranty with free technical support for the life of the prod
The CS6000i is considered a quilting machine, so you know all your needs will be met. Even though it is a budget machine, it is on the list to be the best sewing machine for quilting under $500, and the reason for that is its table.
It is wide and long, ideal for quilting and patchwork projects. There are sixty built-in stitches, including many decorative and buttonhole ones. This model also does not shy in terms of accessories and includes ten sewing feet, many needles, bobbins, and a protective case.
The LCD display shows the stitch you are using and all the project information and also makes it easy to change from one to another.
The other buttons are located on the top of the device, and you can use them to start and stop, do reverse stitching and control speed.
4. Janome HD3000 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
- Built-in needle threader
- Reverse stitch lever
- Snap-on presser feet
- Foot pressure adjustment
- 18 stitches, 1 one step buttonh
What makes the Janome HD3000 so special is that it not only has a metal frame, but also metal gears. That adds extra strength and is a powerful ally to sew on the many layers required for quilting – the fabric, batting, binding, and seams.
It comes with a visual guide for stitching, showing you which foot to use with each stitch. Really useful! It has the basic needle-threading and free-arm features, and a number of elemental stitches.
It does not have a lot of decorative ones, however, so it is best for those who like to stitch on a straight line.
Buying Guide for the Best Sewing Machine Under $500
The throat space of the sewing machine means the space between the needle and the body of the machine. Imagine you need to sew the end of a squared fabric, and to go around the whole edge.
There’s going to come a time when the fabric will need to be on the inside of the sewing machine, between the needle and the body. If that space is too small, your textile will be cramped and you’ll have no space to move around properly.
That’s why a sewing machine with a large throat is ideal for quilting, a craft that uses such thick and layered materials.
The table refers to the base of the sewing machine where you rest the fabric to sew on. Similar to the throat area, you want a wide table that gives you ample space to quilt. Some machines even include an extendable table.
When you see the needle position feature on a sewing machine, this means that you can choose where the needle will stop when you pause sewing: up or down. This is useful to allow you to move the fabric freely.
An automatic thread cutter is a god-sent feature that will save you a lot of time and avoid annoyances. You don’t have to reach for a pair of scissors or step away from your machine, everything you need is right there.
Having a myriad of sewing machine feet is a must for any sewist. They can change completely how the sewing goes and are great for specific tasks. The good news is you can usually purchase them separately, but it is always good to buy a device that already includes the basic ones.
A quilting foot sometimes called a walking foot, is essential to help you with layers. The ¼” foot is also handy and it comes with most sewing machines. Other feet are the open toe one, darning foot, and the hopping foot.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does free motion quilting mean?
Free motion quilting means using a regular sewing machine to stitch a quilt sandwich, without the aid of feed dogs. Feed dogs are the devices that move the fabric in between stitches. That means you are the one moving the fabric, and you can do so in any direction.
What do I need to start quilting?
Starting with the obvious, you will need a sewing machine. You also need the fabric of your choice and batting – the filling that goes in between the two pieces of fabric.
That is called the quilting sandwich. Other accessories are a rotary cutter, a cutting mat, fabric shears, ruler and thread.
Can any sewing machine be used for quilting?
Yes, with some practice you can quilt with a regular sewing machine. That is what free motion quilting means.
What is the difference between patchwork and quilting?
Quilting is sewing layers of fabric together to make a quilt. There are usually three layers of fabric. Patchwork means stitching pieces of fabric together to create a patchwork quilt. The pieces are normally of different shapes and colors.
What size needle do you use for quilting?
The most common size of quilting needles is 90/14. They are also made especially for quilting and have a rounder point.